Andrew Kibler

Default m1823 apple multiple scan 20 diagnosis and repair info

Hello, I have two m1823 20" monitors, very sturdily built that I have
been using past few years. One has had minor display problems with
inward arced lines on the sides and dimness and these improved when I
smacked it on the side. Thinking it was a poor connection problem I
took it outside yesterday and blew all of the dust out of it (it was
coated everywhere.) and re-seated most of the connections. That fixed
those arcs and the dimness problem and for a day it was perfect and
bright. Then suddenly 'click' and the picture was gone, the power and
standby lights are flashing and the rightmost light of the 5 on the left
is on. When I push the power button again (without cycling power to the
monitor), it might work for a minute or two, then 'click' off again this
time with the center light of the five being lit & the two power lights
flashing. I can hear the HV powering up usually. (static) When I cycle
power to the monitor it repeats what I described.

What do each of the 5 indicator lights mean when it's in error mode?
Does anyone have the MAC software for downloading the presets off of the
eeprom?
What might be common failure parts for this model? Any schematic out
there?
Thanks.
Andrew
Jerry G.

The monitor most likely has some cold solder connections that have to be
located and serviced. Considering the age, there are probably some
components in the power supply and scan sections that are wearing down,
located, and require to be changed. This type of work will require the
proper service manuals, training, and diags equipment to work with. You will
have to give the monitor out to an authorized service centre to feasibly
service it, unless you are prepared, and equipped to do this type of work.
The service mode should not be worked in, until the monitor is in perfect
electrical condition. As for the service set-up, this is accessible with the
proper factory service interface, and software.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Andrew Kibler" wrote in message
[...]

Wayne

On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:21:47 -0400, Andrew Kibler wrote:

[...]

You will not find any schematics, but may find something useful at one
of these two sites
http://preterhuman.net/texts/computi...e_Service_PDF/
http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html

Wayne
Andrew Kibler

This is a reply to a no-reply email I got concerning this issue:

Steve,
Thank you for your insightful and courteous reply. I do have a little
experience at fixing monitors on the side, as I have a degree in
electrical engineering. The focus and convergence of these are still
good, and in the future by adjusting the focus internally I think there
is still some good life in the tube yet. I'll swap out the power
supplies and MDB to see which is the culprit. So far I have spent $0
total on these monitors, so it's an interesting exercise anyway. as a
grad student I don't have the cash to buy what I'd really like. When it
turns off the first time it's not the geometry, but the position LED
that is on.

I also have a newer Applevision 850 (M3705) that appears to be fine
except for a discolored possibly burnt up eeprom on the crt board B67AB
93c66 from National. Is this common for this model and is it
repairable?

My email address accepts attachments up to 50MB, so that should be no
problem. Thanks again!

Andrew

Andrew Kibler wrote:

[...]

Steve Bell

Service manual emailed.

Steve Bell

Andrew Kibler wrote:

[...]

Junior Member

Andrew, have you gotten the service manual? I could use it too, because I have a similar problem and would like to see how much repair it needs before I decide on what to do ...

Thank You, Olaf