WbSearch

Default Testing an SCR

When I test an NTE5556 SCR with a multimeter set on diode test, I get 0.6 ohms
with either the positive or negative lead on the annode or cathode. On regular
resistence, I get 55 ohms. Shouldn't I only get a low reading in one direction
as if testing a diode? The device is not failed, new one checks the same.
When I use an in-circuit transistor tester I bought at JayCar, I get open
circuit. Doesn't seem to respond like a normal SCR.
WbSearch

Yes, I checked it 3 times. 2 new ones check the same, confused me but I
installed one and the device now works. The one I removed checked 0.2 ohms ILO
0.6. I also tried shorting the gate to annoded with the other lead on the
cathode to see if it would stay "latched". It did not, as soon as I removed
the gate, it went open again.
Asimov

"WbSearch" bravely wrote to "All" (25 Mar 04 13:59:14)
--- on the heady topic of " Testing an SCR"

Only low power SCR's can be tested reliably with an ohmmeter. An
ohmmeter doesn't have enough current to drive a high power SCR properly.
High power SCR's must be tested on a jig of some type. It can be as
simple as a 100 watt lamp on a base with a 120 volt alternating supply.
It won't test the full current but is an easy to do go/no-go test.

Wb From: (WbSearch)

Wb Yes, I checked it 3 times. 2 new ones check the same, confused me but
Wb I installed one and the device now works. The one I removed checked
Wb 0.2 ohms ILO 0.6. I also tried shorting the gate to annoded with the
Wb other lead on the cathode to see if it would stay "latched". It did
Wb not, as soon as I removed the gate, it went open again.

WbSearch

Thanks. That explains it as this particular SCR is 400 volt, the usual ones I
test are around 100 volt.

Chaos Master

WbSearch says in da message in da
phuck'n group sci.electronics.repair:
When I test an NTE5556 SCR with a multimeter set on diode test, I get 0.6 ohms
with either the positive or negative lead on the annode or cathode. On regular
resistence, I get 55 ohms. Shouldn't I only get a low reading in one direction
as if testing a diode? The device is not failed, new one checks the same.
When I use an in-circuit transistor tester I bought at JayCar, I get open
circuit. Doesn't seem to respond like a normal SCR.

There is a section on SCR testing at the Semiconductor Testing FAQ (more like an
HOW-TO, IMHO) at www.repairfaq.org .

--
_____ ___ Chaos Master®
| | Posting from Brazil
| | MSN: wizard_of_yendor at hotmail.com
___|_____| irc.brasnet.org #XLinuxNews #POA
WbSearch

I found the section on testing SCR's, thanks. The one I replaced was in a
TO220 case used in a photographic flash. I thought the diode test position on
my DMM would provide enough current to test this device. Obviously not.
Thanks again for the helpful replies.