Jerry G.

Default Gateway 2550 LCD replacement

If there are any electrical non-compatible differences, the LCD screen and
or the driver electronics, can be easily damaged. These are made for
specific machine configurations. I personally would not take the chance.
These are expensive to replace, and there is a chance to also damage the
driver board in the machine. In some computers, the driver electronics is
part of the mother board. You can end up scrapping a laptop with this type
of endeavour.

You should be really talking to the manufacture service rep for these types
of details.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"zbych2" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

I have Gateway Solo 2550 laptop with cracked hinges and additionaly
LCD screen doesn't look good (uneven backlight). I also have Gateway
Solo 2500 laptop but it is weaker (Solo 2550 is PIII and Solo 2500 is
PII) but it have good LCD with good hinges. I decided to exchange LCD
screens with the whole plastics but I'm not sure if they will be
electronicaly compatible between those computers. Physicaly
(dimensions) they are identical except LCD dimensions - LCD from 2500
is 13.0" while LCD from 2550 is 13.3". My question is: will LCD from
2500 work with 2550 if I use the whole top cover with LCD (all
eventual electronic inside) and just reconnect cables coming out from
LCD cover? Are they compatible at the level of connecting them to the
mainboard ? I know those LCDs are different models but if I replace
the whole top cover, not only LCD, with all electronic (voltage
converter? ) will it work? If one laptop model is produced with few
different LCD types (both Gateways were) do they differentiate at
mainboard or only top cover where some electronic connected to LCD
itself is?

Any help?

Regards
Zbych

Bob Kos

I can't speak for your specific computers whether the parts are swappable or
not. I have never seen it possible. BUT - I spoke to a guy at a computer
show who claims he converts his DSTN laptops to TFT screens all the time by
simply bolting the entire cover on.

Consider these thoughts:

1) You have a 50 / 50 chance at pulling it off. If you win, you win. If
you lose, you lose everything probably.

2) If ALL of the laptop parts are NOT expendable, don't try it.

3) You might want to search around for used laptop parts for your machine.
See if the motherboard or video card ( if applicable ) calls for a specific
screen type or not. If so, you know you're doomed from the start.

"zbych2" wrote in message
[...]

William R. Walsh

Hi!

I can't speak for your specific computers whether the parts are swappable

or
not. I have never seen it possible. BUT - I spoke to a guy at a computer
show who claims he converts his DSTN laptops to TFT screens all the time

by
simply bolting the entire cover on.

You can do it with some models. The entire Compaq LTE5000 (5000~5400 for
certain) series is this way. You simply attach the new display, and throw a
few jumpers on the processor card. (Yes, really the processor card!) Then
you enjoy the new and larger display. I've tried it and it works just fine,
but I liked the display of the 640x480 DSTN panel better, so I put it back.
The DSTN panel had much better backlighting IMHO.

So look inside of your machine to see if there are jumpers or switchblocks
to specify the type of display panel. That's a big clue that you can swap
display panels.

Getting the service manual helps. I found the one for my Compaq LTE5000 just
by looking around in hopes of solving another problem.

And--as other posters have said--do NOT try this unless both machines are
completely expendable! If for some reason the displays are not compatible
with one another or you mess up a setting, I would fully expect something
[expensive] to go up in smoke.

William