BrianJ

Default NAD c541i

I'm having a problem with my CD player. It stops randomly during play
and can only be restarted by opening and closing the tray. I can also
turn it on and off but it then fails to find the TOC.

After the machine is moved, (i.e. taken back to the shop, or brought
home), it works OK for a couple of weeks then the problem resumes. It
occurs at any operating temperature and on all CDs.

The dealer's repairer claimed to have replaced the laser assembly but
this had no effect as the same problem came back again after about the
same period of time.

The seller is refusing to refund or replace so I need to be able to
make a convincing argument to local Consumer Affairs that problems
like this actually do exist, specifically, that the problem can be
alleviated by moving.

Thanks for any help
Jerry G.

This sounds like it has a problem that they don't know how to fix. I would
get in touch with NAD directly and complain about it. Also indicate that you
are bringing this up on the news groups and all over the net, if there is no
cooperation from them, if they give you some resistance.

Personally, I would have bought another make...

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg
===========

"BrianJ" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a problem with my CD player. It stops randomly during play
and can only be restarted by opening and closing the tray. I can also
turn it on and off but it then fails to find the TOC.

After the machine is moved, (i.e. taken back to the shop, or brought
home), it works OK for a couple of weeks then the problem resumes. It
occurs at any operating temperature and on all CDs.

The dealer's repairer claimed to have replaced the laser assembly but
this had no effect as the same problem came back again after about the
same period of time.

The seller is refusing to refund or replace so I need to be able to
make a convincing argument to local Consumer Affairs that problems
like this actually do exist, specifically, that the problem can be
alleviated by moving.

Thanks for any help

Mark D. Zacharias

Is it still under warranty? The best NAD service is The Service Bench (or
was it Repair Bench?) in Boston.

Peter is the best with NAD. You could have a bad cable, limit switch, solder
connection, a firmware problem - who knows.

Mark Z.

"BrianJ" wrote in message
om...
I'm having a problem with my CD player. It stops randomly during play
and can only be restarted by opening and closing the tray. I can also
turn it on and off but it then fails to find the TOC.

After the machine is moved, (i.e. taken back to the shop, or brought
home), it works OK for a couple of weeks then the problem resumes. It
occurs at any operating temperature and on all CDs.

The dealer's repairer claimed to have replaced the laser assembly but
this had no effect as the same problem came back again after about the
same period of time.

The seller is refusing to refund or replace so I need to be able to
make a convincing argument to local Consumer Affairs that problems
like this actually do exist, specifically, that the problem can be
alleviated by moving.

Thanks for any help

BrianJ

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Is it still under warranty? The best NAD service is The Service Bench (or
was it Repair Bench?) in Boston.

Peter is the best with NAD. You could have a bad cable, limit switch, solder
connection, a firmware problem - who knows.

Mark Z.

--
Yes it's under warranty. Only 8 momths old and never worked properly.

I am in Melbourne, Australia. I am starting to believe that NAD don't
care. I have met with hostility from both repair shops. The strategy
of the seller, Klapp Electronics, and the NAD rep is to deny the
problem and therefore, unavoidably, accuse my wife and I of lying
about it. I don't know if this is the experience of other NAD
customers around the wworld but I would certainly recommend that
Australians steer clear of this brand.

BrianJ
Mark D. Zacharias

Sorry I was so USA-centered. I do think I'd try to climb the ladder, so to
speak, and write a registered letter to the national service manager of NAD
explaining your situation without any name-calling of those who have failed
you to this point. You are entitled to decent service from the equipment you
bought, even if the whole world of electronics is moving away from that
ideal.

Mark Z.

"BrianJ" wrote in message
om...
[...]

BrianJ

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote in message ...
Sorry I was so USA-centered. I do think I'd try to climb the ladder, so to
speak, and write a registered letter to the national service manager of NAD
explaining your situation without any name-calling of those who have failed
you to this point. You are entitled to decent service from the equipment you
bought, even if the whole world of electronics is moving away from that
ideal.

Mark Z.

--
You know, I think you're right. Maybe naming names isn't that

productive at this stage. As to the rest, I think I have been dealing
with the national or regional rep already. NAD does not have its own
dedicated service centre in Australia, it's all farmed out to
multi-brand repair centres and their is no higher level than the one
where the machine has gone once and probably is at now, (I told them I
didn't want to see it again). They don't even have an office here as
far as I can tell. It is all handled by the distributor who also
handle Denon, Linn, Metz etc.

I guess it is down to the fairly robust Australian consumer laws which
can actually award damages and exemplary damages in cases of
misconduct.

Thanks for your suggestions

BrianJ