Buzzin

Default Kenwood NV600 "no disk"

I wonder if anyone can help me, i just bought a kenwood NV600 from
ebay, it turns out the the cd stops playing after a few seconds -
sometimes 30 secs and displays the "no disk" error on the screen. If i
eject the cd and reinsert it plays for another 30 seconds or so. I
have done all the usual things like cleanign the lens with alcohol,
lubricating the transport bars etc, but it still has the same error. I
have noticed that there are 2 pots to adjust one on the laser assy and
one marked FE bias on the main board, not knowing what these are i
havnt touched them

Can anyone assist me after being ripped off on ebay?

Thanks
michael turner

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 07:58:59 -0800, Buzzin wrote:

I wonder if anyone can help me, i just bought a kenwood NV600 from
ebay, it turns out the the cd stops playing after a few seconds -
sometimes 30 secs and displays the "no disk" error on the screen. If i
eject the cd and reinsert it plays for another 30 seconds or so. I
have done all the usual things like cleanign the lens with alcohol,
lubricating the transport bars etc, but it still has the same error. I
have noticed that there are 2 pots to adjust one on the laser assy and
one marked FE bias on the main board, not knowing what these are i
havnt touched them

The pickup is probably duff.

Can anyone assist me after being ripped off on ebay?

Can't you take it up with the vendor ? unless it was 'Sold As Seen'.

In my book 'Sold As Seen' = 'knackered', whether it be Ebay,
free-ads papers (Loot and Trade-It), car-boot sales, computer and radio
fairs, etc.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

Buzzin

michael turner wrote in message .. .
[...]

Thanks mate - your wisdom is truly awe inspiring, how about anyone
technical giving me a bit of friendly advise?
Sofie

Continue with your wisdom....don't touch the pots.

Since you already cleaned the lens and lubricated the laser sled rails....
you have already done all of the easy stuff. Make certain that the sled
moves freely from beginning to end and it doe not hang up due to bad gears,
etc.
The problem you described is most likely an intermittent and/or faulty cable
that goes to the laser sled... OR ...a bad pick up as indicated by one of
the previous reply posts.

Now for my editorial comment: If you paid far less that half of the
normal/new retail price for this item, do not be shocked and surprised that
it does not work properly...... you usually get about what you pay for....
sometimes more if you are lucky.... but usually less.
Often if an item is in excellent working order, the Ebay seller will
indicate that fact and usually offer a guarantee or refund.... and of course
the starting bid price or reserve will higher than if the item is offered
"as is".... "not tested" ..... "minor problems" .... "maybe just needs a
cleaning"....... "no refund" ...... "no return" ...... "sales final", etc,
etc..
If the latter is the case, then you "paid your money and took your
chances."........ and nobody got "ripped off" .....
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Buzzin" wrote in message
om...
michael turner wrote in message

.. .
[...]

Buzzin

"Sofie" wrote in message ...
[...]

"Buzzin" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thanks for the advise, and yes - it was a bargain, and me being new to
ebay, took the chance. Having learned my lesson i will be more
dilligent in the future. In the mean time i will check the ribbon
cables, and consider the bin as a hard learnt lesson?

Thanks again
Rob
ex electronics engineer - electron microscopes