MGM

Default Thyratron

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

Thanks
Mike

Old Nick

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:41:28 GMT, "MGM"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

a 4 pin hand grenade....coward's method

"Are you SURE?"

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

Thanks
Mike

************************************************** ** sorry

..........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?
Davis Redding

"MGM" wrote in message
KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike,

Well, it would be a good idea to find out the exact specs of your Thyratron (I bet a lot
of people don't know what the heck one of these things are!!).

You can try www.russiantubes.com except these are Russian made (some still made during the
Soviet era), and compare average values of these Thyratrons. However, I've never seen a
plastic one (it probably isn't high voltage), most of the ones I've seen are made from
ceramic, but this one could be different.

I typically pay $300 USD for a specific Thyratron that is used in Copper Bromide Vapour
Pulsed Wave Lasers that I work with, but a NOS one in untested condition?!?!?

Does the application still exist? oh, and not ever having seen a WW2 German grenade, I'm
guessing it is a cylinder of some sort with the pins probably on one end. Is there a
metal ring somewhere down the center of the unit?

Hope that sorta helps you out.

--
Myron Samila
Toronto, ON Canada

Gunner

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:36:26 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 10:41:28 GMT, "MGM"
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

a 4 pin hand grenade....coward's method

"Are you SURE?"

Just keep in mind, once the last pin is pulled. Mr. Hand Grenade is no
longer your friend.

Gunner

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

Thanks
Mike

************************************************* *** sorry

.........no I'm not!

Spike....Spike? Hello?

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem.
To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized,
merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas
Asimov

"MGM" bravely wrote to "All" (28 Feb 04 10:41:28)
--- on the heady topic of "Thyratron"

Interesting from an historical viewpoint but made obsolete by the
advent of the solid-state Silicon Controlled Rectifier (SCR). I'd
mount it on a marble plaque with a ceramic socket and enjoy it as a
fancy curio. I did this with a 50 amp mercury vapour rectifier,
besides it was simply too toxic to trash it.

MG From: "MGM"
MG Subject: Thyratron
MG Organization: AT&T Worldnet

MG KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MG MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

MG Still in original box !! Never used !!
MG How can I determine a value and sell ?

MG About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII
MG German hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

MG Thanks
MG Mike

.... I remember the 6SN7...

Isaac Wingfield

wrote:

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

A "solid state thyratron" is basically a silicon controlled rectifier in
a thyratron-shaped package, maybe with the addition of some
signal-conditioning to adapt grid drive to gate drive. Probably intended
as a replacement for the mercury-vapor thyratrons WeCo used in their PBX
battery chargers.

Isaac
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

KS19699-L4 SOLID STATE THYRATRON 2/68

MFD BY MOTOROLA FOR WESTERN ELECTRIC

Still in original box !! Never used !!
How can I determine a value and sell ?

About 6.5" long and 2.5 wide at its widest...... shaped like a WWII German
hand grenade....4 pins.....not glass, all plastic (composite)

A "solid state thyratron" is basically a silicon controlled rectifier in
a thyratron-shaped package, maybe with the addition of some
signal-conditioning to adapt grid drive to gate drive. Probably intended
as a replacement for the mercury-vapor thyratrons WeCo used in their PBX
battery chargers.

Isaac

Tons of uses - from relay controllers to spot welding.
Even motor controlls :-)

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

RWatson767

Thyratron

I remember the 6SN7...

Are the numbers up that high by now? The latest I remember is a 6AL5. Are they
still made?
Bob AZ