Tom

Default Receiver battery backup via capacitor?

Hi I have a Marantz AV9000 DD preamp and whenever the power is
removed, all settings are lost and back to factory defaults. I have
the service manual and there is no battery backup. However, there is
a 1F 15v capacitor which seems to be involved in the backup function.
My question is would such a capacitor fail after about 4 years? And
does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks
James Sweet

"Tom" wrote in message
m...
Hi I have a Marantz AV9000 DD preamp and whenever the power is
removed, all settings are lost and back to factory defaults. I have
the service manual and there is no battery backup. However, there is
a 1F 15v capacitor which seems to be involved in the backup function.
My question is would such a capacitor fail after about 4 years? And
does anyone know where I could find one?

Thanks

I've never had one fail, but it's certainly possible. Memory backup caps are
readily available, though most of them are 5.5v.

Jerry G.

Yes, I have had them fail at times, but it is rare. Most of these caps are
5.5 Volts or so. But, you may have to order a 15 Volt one from the
manufacture directly, or from their authorized parts dealer, if you cannot
find one generically.

You can use your DVM to see if it is storing anything. After unplugging the
receiver from the AC mains, put your DVM across the cap to see if it is
holding charge.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG