Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Mike

Default RCA Proscan 27" TV no vertical

This is an oldie, the model slips my mind, but its a CTC167R chassis, thats
a vertical wood floor model.

This set has worked flawlessly since the date it was purchased new at
stienburgs(now defunct).

about a month ago, the vertical began to foldover at the top.

When you first would turn the set on, the foldover would appear. as it ran
for an hour it would retract and clear up. I knew right there, it has to be
a faulty cap in the vert stages.

over the course of the 2 months, it got worse and worse, to the point where
when you first turned it on, the foldover would reach as far down as the
center of the screen. after an hour, it would retract to about a 1/4 of the
screen, but it never disappeard.

Just today, the set was turned off, and then later in the day, turned back
on, BAM no vertical deflection. none. zippo. The OSD is there, the sound is
there, but no pic, no vert.

just a line with OSD.

Im believing that the cap has either shorted, or opened up.

I did some research in the faq, and euras and found that supply diodes open,
or a resistor changes in value. I also found a pinout of the IC, and low
voltages would indicate faulty IC, or faulty coupleing cap.

I checked out the vcc volts to the IC, they are dead on. The IC isnt the
problem.

I checked the resistor, and the diodes it suggested in the euras database,
and they are fine. the supplies are good.

Any ideas if this is a common problem? or maybe this has happened before,
and know what cap it is? I dont have an ESR meter, but I have a DMM and a
scope.