desiv

Default LCD projector convergence?

OK, I have a Runco LCP-500 projector, which is an NEC MT600 projector
apparently.

I got it used. It had a good picture, but a few dust spots. (small color
blobs)

I can be an idiot at times, but decided not to be with this! I called
around and found a local shop who said they would clean the dust for $80. I
figured, sure..

So I take it in. I get it back, there's more smaller dust spots AND it's
out of focus. The red is shifted a bit to the right.

I call em and take it back. They call me today. They got the dust out, but
they can't fix the convergence problem. I remind them that they caused the
convergence problem!!

The tech tells me he wants to fix it, but he can't get any info from the
maker! They won't talk to him. So I need to call them and tell them to
give him the information. Ha!

I ask him if he took his car in for repair and it came back worse, what
would he do? He said (I swear), "I'd call the manufacturer." If it wasn't
me, it'd be funny.

I could have lived with the dust, it was just a few spots, but the picture
is unwatchable now.

So, (rant mode OFF) I'm not looking for any problems. I'm willing to do his
footwork for him if it'll help get my projector back. Is there anything I
can tell him? Somewhere I can point him? Anything?

Thanx

desiv
(rant mode back ON)
If he couldn't fix it, he should have told me up front! When doing computer
work, I don't work on something unless I'm pretty sure I know what I'm
doing. And when I accidentally fried someone's CPU when working on it, I
bought them a new one. That's what you do when you work on things and you
mess up!!! I've never taken anyone to court over anything, not even small
claims, and I don't want to... But I don't see this guy taking
responsibility for his mistake.. Not been a good week (Heater died and
because I'm a bit of a pushover, it took 4 days to get fixed.) I always
think that if I'm polite and patient, people will appreciate it. They
don't. They take advantage.. I know, my fault on that.. But still...
Aaaarrrghghhhhhh!!!)
(rant mode back OFF)
sorry...

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 03:01:56 GMT, "desiv" wrote:

OK, I have a Runco LCP-500 projector, which is an NEC MT600 projector
apparently.

I got it used. It had a good picture, but a few dust spots. (small color
blobs)

I can be an idiot at times, but decided not to be with this! I called
around and found a local shop who said they would clean the dust for $80. I
figured, sure..

So I take it in. I get it back, there's more smaller dust spots AND it's
out of focus. The red is shifted a bit to the right.

NEC projectors in particular are subject to distortion of the panels
caused by heat. They are held in place by lockable Allen screws. If
a panel is disturbed at all it may slip in its frame a bit, causing
different colours to be slighlty different sizes, thus no overall
convergence, and the focus slips.. We've had that several times with
projectors coming into the repair shop where I worked. They were
"cleaned' by the owner or an outside shop. There is no repair other
than by buying new, expensive panels, however it may have been ready
to go anyway and the cleaning just gave it a push.

. Steve .

[...]

Art

Agreed, if the servicer took the panels out and then had problems
reinserting them properly, will cause your registration problem. As Steve
stated, it may require replacement of the panel if the mounts and/or holders
are damaged. Resolution, ask the servicer if they are willing to absorb the
cost of actually repairing the item or if they would care to refund your
service fee so you can use another servicer that is a bit more competent.