Ken Pisichko

Default Dead HP 9150i CD-writer

Last year I removed theHP 9150i CD writer because the two young sons
were burning audio CDs and leaving them all over the house. I replaced
it with the original CD read only DVD unit that the computer came with.

Now the boys want it back because they are making a CD for a school
project and they want to burn one. So I dug it out of it's box and
installed it. Only it does not work!

Whenever I put any CD at all in the machine, it starts it's spin up and
the computer screen first goes black, then it goes blue with an 08 error
message at...........

The only way I can get the computer going again is by re booting. If I
do a control-alt-delete there are a couple of items (cannot remember
which) that are not responding,

If I replace the HP unit with the original read only unit I can read any
cd.

HP has not helped me, except that they charged their $35 fee. Now they
are not even sure if they will repair it. The "nice lady" on their help
line said the repair would cost about what I paid for it. My reply was
"Oh, so you are going to charge me for another one and send it instead
of repairing the one I have". She could not even give me any information
as to where to send it for repair.

Anyone know if this is repairable for less than the cost of a new unit?
I paid $115 US for it in '01 and I don't think it has burned more than
25 CDs. It has been sitting in it's shipping/display box for nearly 1
year.

Ken

Steve(JazzHunter)

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:51:52 -0600, Ken Pisichko wrote:

The problem is software, drivers, classic read failure leading to
bluescreen, but you gave absolutely no indication of your system type
or Operating System so one couldn't be much help.

Did you try running ForceAspi to replace the current Aspi layer with a
known good Aspi? http://www.radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm

A bad CDrom will not cause a bluescreen unless there is a problem with
software, IF there is a problem with software then it might look like
a bad reader.

. Steve .

[...]

Jerry G.

The CD ROM has most likely become defective for whatever reason. You can
buy a good burner for about 50 to 80 bucks or so. It will come bundled with
its own working software and latest updates. You must first uninstall the
old software before installing the new drive.

There is no support for servicing these drives. The labour for a skilled
tech and the investment of a service set-up would never warrant to service
something this low in cost.

When I get one of these fail, which they do from time to time, I just go out
and get another one. They take about 15 minutes to change, including the
software installation.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"Ken Pisichko" wrote in message
[...]

nil spam

"Steve(JazzHunter)" wrote in message
news | On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:51:52 -0600, Ken Pisichko wrote:

| The problem is software, drivers, classic read failure leading to
| bluescreen, but you gave absolutely no indication of your system type
| or Operating System so one couldn't be much help.
|
| Did you try running ForceAspi to replace the current Aspi layer with a
| known good Aspi? http://www.radified.com/ASPI/forceaspi.htm
|
| A bad CDrom will not cause a bluescreen unless there is a problem with
| software, IF there is a problem with software then it might look like
| a bad reader.
|
| . Steve .
|
| Last year I removed theHP 9150i CD writer because the two young sons
| were burning audio CDs and leaving them all over the house. I replaced
| it with the original CD read only DVD unit that the computer came with.
|
| Now the boys want it back because they are making a CD for a school
| project and they want to burn one. So I dug it out of it's box and
| installed it. Only it does not work!
|
| Whenever I put any CD at all in the machine, it starts it's spin up and
| the computer screen first goes black, then it goes blue with an 08 error
| message at...........
|
| The only way I can get the computer going again is by re booting. If I
| do a control-alt-delete there are a couple of items (cannot remember
| which) that are not responding,
|
| If I replace the HP unit with the original read only unit I can read any
| cd.
|
| HP has not helped me, except that they charged their $35 fee. Now they
| are not even sure if they will repair it. The "nice lady" on their help
| line said the repair would cost about what I paid for it. My reply was
| "Oh, so you are going to charge me for another one and send it instead
| of repairing the one I have". She could not even give me any information
| as to where to send it for repair.
|
| Anyone know if this is repairable for less than the cost of a new unit?
| I paid $115 US for it in '01 and I don't think it has burned more than
| 25 CDs. It has been sitting in it's shipping/display box for nearly 1
| year.
|
| Ken

I know it sounds like a long shot but when I had one of these I found there
was nothing wrong with the drive but it was /very/ picky about it's media.
Try a different brand of CDR to see if that makes the error go away and also
try warming the CD up very gently with a blow dryer before putting it in to
the drive to read (I know it sounds silly but it worked for me every time!).

LASERandDVDfan

A bad CDrom will not cause a bluescreen unless there is a problem with
software, IF there is a problem with software then it might look like
a bad reader.

You can have a bluescreen error related to a CD-ROM's inability to read the
disc.

One such error simply asks you to insert the CD back into the drive, which can
result if the disc is having trouble being read by the drive. However, other
times the system will simply hang, with everything being frozen as the system
waits for the drive when it's having problems reading a disc. (Which was a
constant hassle with my old Philips OMNIwriter 26A, which was a rebadged Ricoh.
The piece of junk has since been replaced by a Sony. MUCH more reliable.)

Sometimes those bluescreen prompts aren't the result of a system crash,
although you get a bluescreen mainly due to a problem like a fatal exception
error. - Reinhart

Steve(JazzHunter)

On 24 Jan 2004 07:13:56 GMT, (LASERandDVDfan)
wrote:

[...]

My experience is that in a properly working Win98 system it's a
"recoverable" bluescreen, in other words ctl-alt-del brings back a
functioning desktop, with the system no longer trying to access the
drive. Sometimes the Drive letter will have disappeared from Explorer.
This is true whether the problem is a bad drive, bad disc, or software
issue.

In a W2k or XP system you ONLY have a bluescreen on a bad drive if
there is an existing ASPI problem or bad IDE driver. That was why I
advised trying Adaptec ASPI 1.7. If the drive was in this system in
the past then the registry will still have the hardware ID, the line
of code, tying the device into the Kernel, but meanwhile the registry
may have developed erros which call up an illegal function when the
drive is used. I have encountered bluescreens and access errors when
reintalling an old drive. The repair has always been to go to the
device manager and UNINSTALL the IDE/ATAPI controllers, that is
uninstall the Primary and Secondary IDE channels, including Hard
Drives, and reboot. This is perfectly safe for Win2K and Win98, Win95
is Iffy, and NT4 MUST have a reinstall before rebooting. This also
addresses another thing that hasn't been mentioned here, third-party
IDE drivers, such as Intel's, may have been put in, and that can also
cause problems down the line. Going back to the orignal Windows
drivers is the safest way to get back to an even playing field.

As yet I have not read anything that suggests for sure that the drive,
which has just been sitting around after all. is definitely the
culprit. Maybe if the power cord had been foced in upside-down, or
the IDE cable was reversed, maybe. Incidently are we SURE both
connections to the CDrom are correct, and have the Slave/Master
jumpers been set correctly?

. Steve ..

WEBPA

Dumb questions:

1. You HAVE verified that the master-slave-only jumper is set correctly?
Right?

2. You HAVE verified that the BIOS in the machine is set to AUTO or something
similar for the relevant IDE channel? Right?
webpa