Default PS2 disc error

My PS2 is no longer reading discs. It simply gives "disc read error"
when I put a game in. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Is
the system broken, or do I have resources to call upon?

Thanks,
xl
Jerry G.

The drive, controller, or main board may have failed. Test by trying parts,
or take it to the service rep.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

wrote in message
om...
My PS2 is no longer reading discs. It simply gives "disc read error"
when I put a game in. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Is
the system broken, or do I have resources to call upon?

Thanks,
xl

Ken G.

I also work on these .. my questions are what is the probable cause for
these to stop reading the blue backed disks ?

I just had one here that would read the silver PS2 games fine but
refused to read blue disks or DVD disks . A good cleaning did no good

red

Silver disc are DVD and blue disc are CD-ROM. Older ps2s dvd laser would go
bad and would stop playing silver disc and dvd movies. If it will play one
and not the other, most likely a laser assembly gone bad. I dont work on
these much, but have haerd enough about em.

"Ken G." wrote in message
I also work on these .. my questions are what is the probable cause for
these to stop reading the blue backed disks ?

I just had one here that would read the silver PS2 games fine but
refused to read blue disks or DVD disks . A good cleaning did no good

Jeff Wiseman

Default PS2 disc error-They all seem to be failing

I have a son with a PS2 and his is starting to have problems
reading some discs. Several of his friends are now seeing this
same problem. All machines are about the same age (around 2 years
old).

It sounds as though these were all built with a common cheap part
(laser?). I'd like to get a handle on which parts these are.
Could somebody that fixes these all the time might be able to
shed some light here?

- Jeff

"Ken G." wrote in message
I also work on these .. my questions are what is the probable cause for
these to stop reading the blue backed disks ?

I just had one here that would read the silver PS2 games fine but
refused to read blue disks or DVD disks . A good cleaning did no good

Ken G.

I was told Sony will NOT sell parts for these & that you had to send the
box in along with a flat fee so they can fix it .

I have seen 3 different insides in these PS2`s . They started making
the power supply smaller & cheaper . Some of the plastic levers that
have to do with the drawer were changed along with the lazer assembly so
we cant change parts around so easy .

Its all planned to only last just a short time so you have to spend more
money .

LASERandDVDfan

My PS2 is no longer reading discs. It simply gives "disc read error"
when I put a game in. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Is
the system broken, or do I have resources to call upon?

PS-2 consoles are prone to failure due to dust accumulation in the disc drive.

What I've been doing with these PS-2s is taking compressed air and blowing the
dust out of the entire console, although just blowing the dust out of the disc
drive will work just as well.

What you do is remove the bottom screw covers, take the screws off, cut the
warranty sticker on the rear corner of the console, and then take the cover
off.

The disc drive has a top on it. You take the four screws off of it and take
the entire top of the drive off.

Take a can of compressed air and blow off all the dust out of the disc drive.
Then, blow the air into the optical pickup. BE CAREFUL when you do this,
though. It's very easy to damage the pickup this way. Then you clean off the
lens with a swab lightly dampened with isopropyl alcohol.
Then, you relube the kicker mechanism. You relube the worm gear and the pickup
slider path with molytone grease. White lithium grease may also work. You
can't re-oil the disc spindle motor. It is a brushless type and the bearings
are sealed, but this part seldom goes wrong.

Reassemble the console and try it. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

I just had one here that would read the silver PS2 games fine but
refused to read blue disks or DVD disks . A good cleaning did no good

You must also clean and relube the pickup kicker mechanism. The dust
accumulation is known to dry out the grease. The CD-ROMs require a more rapid
drive reaction than the DVD-ROM discs when performing random access functions.
The console will not be able to do rapid random access with a kicker mechanism
that is dragging due to dried lube. This invariably results in a read error as
the drive may lose synchronisation with the disc track. - Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

I have seen 3 different insides in these PS2`s . They started making
the power supply smaller & cheaper . Some of the plastic levers that
have to do with the drawer were changed along with the lazer assembly so
we cant change parts around so easy .

Other changes include the mainboard layout.

Its all planned to only last just a short time so you have to spend more
money .

I don't think so.

In the console business, profit is not made from console sales. Profit is made
from software sales. The design changes in the hardware reduce the price of
the hardware, but it's still going to be sold at a loss.

With the current business, money is lost from hardware sales, but the hope is
that the buyer will purchase software. This is where the profit comes from.
When you buy a PS-2 game, regardless to where it came from, Sony makes money.
In the case that it's made by a third party, a portion of the third party's
profit goes towards paying for Sony's licensing fees, which is where Sony gets
its money. This is a business model that was invented by Nintendo in the early
1980s and currently exists today with some revisions to account for the
inventory differences that exists between mask ROM cartridges and optical
discs. (Mask ROM costs more and takes months to fill an order while discs are
cheap and orders can be filled within a week.) This business model is employed
by Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony at this time.

As for the PS-2, it's main design drawback is that it is prone to excessive
dust accumulation, especially in conditions that are too dusty or smoky.

The dust is known to collect inside the drive, which causes readability
problems because the dust can interfere with the operation of the optical
pickup and can also hinder the mechanical operation of the disc drive
components, namely the kicker mechanism.

A way to prevent this is to use the console in an area that doesn't have a dust
problem, as well as using it away from the floor. - Reinhart

Impmon

"Jerry G." wrote in message
The drive, controller, or main board may have failed. Test by trying

parts,
or take it to the service rep.

wrote in message
om...
My PS2 is no longer reading discs. It simply gives "disc read error"
when I put a game in. Does anyone have any troubleshooting tips? Is
the system broken, or do I have resources to call upon?

Dirty laser and/or excess dust buildup is usually the causes of failed PS2.
Go to www.gamefaqs.com and click on PS2 on the top. Then look for PS2
hardware FAQ link and click that. Last I checkd, there were 2 different DRE
FAQs there.