Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Panasonic NVSD240 VCR problem

I have a Panasonic NVSD240 that plays tapes perfectly well with brilliant picture. However, when powered on and before inserting a tape, it shows 'no signal' (no blue screen or similar as other VCRs - TV says 'no signal'). Also it does not respond to its original remote control. The remote itself is fully functional and I tested every button in it with an IR detector. Consequently the clock display keeps flashing 0:00 and I am unable to set the time or access the VCR menu as all of these functions require the remote, with no alternative buttons on the VCR itself. The connection to TV is via SCART (this UK model has no video out RCAs).
To reiterate, there is excellent picture when tape plays. Just 'no signal' when tape is stopped and no VCR menu. No response to remote either.
Can you help?
Much thanks!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Joe" wrote in message
I have a Panasonic NVSD240 that plays tapes perfectly well with brilliant
picture. However, when powered on and before inserting a tape, it shows
'no signal' (no blue screen or similar as other VCRs - TV says 'no
signal'). Also it does not respond to its original remote control. The
remote itself is fully functional and I tested every button in it with an
IR detector. Consequently the clock display keeps flashing 0:00 and I am
unable to set the time or access the VCR menu as all of these functions
require the remote, with no alternative buttons on the VCR itself. The
connection to TV is via SCART (this UK model has no video out RCAs).
To reiterate, there is excellent picture when tape plays. Just 'no signal'
when tape is stopped and no VCR menu. No response to remote either.
Can you help?
Much thanks!!

The remote receiver module is almost certainly bad (it happens). Wouldn't
hurt to confirm it's solder connections are OK, though.

A technician can check the functional status of the module using a
multimeter and an oscilloscope.

On an older model, Panasonic very possibly won't have the part available any
more. There are many types of IR receivers and they are generally NOT
interchangeable. If one gets lucky an identical part can sometimes be found
in some other unit, for example a "scrapper" that a repair shop might have
laying around.

Mark Z.