Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default High technology

While looking around the storage building, I found an old 12 volt VCR, dot matrix printer, wiring harness for an old GE classic 2 mobile phone, from before cell phones existed. This stuff was considered high tech. Many years ago I'd be on location in the oil field, watching TV and videos, talking on the mobile phone.

I had to manually switch towers on the phone, depending on what area I was in.

Now on my smart phone I can watch videos, make phone calls, listen to the radio, surf the internet. It holds 7 gigs of music, and much more in videos. This one device can do so many things it took many other things to do.

In the house I've shrink wrapped a turntable, amplifier, another VCR, two old cband satellite receivers. There are at least a dozen VCR tapes. I don't know what I'll ever do with these things.

It makes me a little sad and nostalgic.

In twenty years I wonder what changes have made today's high tech obsolete?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I kinda hope you don't have a CCW...

It is nice to have old things, but not to shrink wrap them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
MJC MJC is offline

In article ,
says...

wrote:
I kinda hope you don't have a CCW...
It is nice to have old things, but not to shrink wrap them.

CCW? What does that stand for?

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CCW

Counterclockwise (widdershins) was at the top of my interpretations
too...

Mike.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 28/03/16 14:00, MJC wrote:
In article ,
says...

wrote:
I kinda hope you don't have a CCW...
It is nice to have old things, but not to shrink wrap them.

CCW? What does that stand for?

http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/CCW

Counterclockwise (widdershins) was at the top of my interpretations
too...

Gun ref, me thinks.

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:39:11 -0500, dangerous dan wrote:

It makes me a little sad and nostalgic.

it's really not that bad. Some old things are making a glorious comeback.
Who'd have thought vinyl records of all things?! And a lot of people are
ditching their smartphones in favour of vintage cellphones with no fancy
features as they're pretty much immune from malware and hackers.
Will old film cameras be next I wonder?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 5, 2016 at 5:40:44 PM UTC-4, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Who'd have thought vinyl records of all things?!

Doh.

P.T. Barnum, of course.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cursitor wrote:
On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 17:39:11 -0500, dangerous dan wrote:
It makes me a little sad and nostalgic.

it's really not that bad. Some old things are making a glorious comeback.
Who'd have thought vinyl records of all things?! And a lot of people are
ditching their smartphones in favour of vintage cellphones with no fancy
features as they're pretty much immune from malware and hackers.
Will old film cameras be next I wonder?

Does anyone want to buy an old Motorola analog bag phone, attaché model?