Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default My Toshiba Laptop comes on briefly and goes off.

Pls
My Toshiba laptop Statellite C855-S5356, When switched on boots up to the bios stage then the screen will change to some multi-checker boxes (as if using a scratched DVD in a DVD player)then the screen will go off for about 10 seconds then it will repeat that process(on and off)but takes a longer time to come on again each successive time. I tried an external monitor but there was no display. I removed the harddisk but the problem remained the same, remove the battery-same.
I will be happy if l can get some help here. Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If you can, charge the battery and try with the AC disconnected. The symptoms you
describe can be caused by a noisy power source (which resets the machine and
causes multiple startup cycles, then interrupts them).

The battery (different power source) might not work better, but it's worth a try.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 8 Mar 2016 23:12:43 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

My Toshiba laptop Statellite C855-S5356,

Hmmm... about 4 years old:
https://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+toshiba+satellite+c855-s5356&tbm=isch

When switched on boots up to the bios stage then the screen will
change to some multi-checker boxes (as if using a scratched DVD
in a DVD player)

That's a failure to initialize video RAM which is shared with the main
memory. The light show on the screen and the boot failures indicate
some kind of RAM failure. As "Ken" suggested, try removing the RAM,
cleaning out any dust and debris, and CAREFULLY reinserting it. If
that doesn't fix it, try one DDR3 RAM stick at a time. If one is bad,
it will be obvious. If you have new RAM

Go thee unto:
http://www.memtest.org or http://www.memtest86.com
and burn a CD or flash drive with their memory testing programs. If
you're lucky, it will boot and you can test your CPU, RAM, buses, etc.

If that doesn't work, leave the RAM in place, but unplug literally
everything that can be removed. Remove the CD/DVD drive, wi-fi card,
hard disk, and any USB dongles. One of them might be hanging the bus.

There's also a small chance that the battery might be causing a
problem. Try removing the battery and running it totally on the
charger.

On the other foot, it might be a bad GPU BGA chip to motherboard
soldering job, which will take a major effort to reflow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP2QOXNMA9g
Use an aluminum foil heat shield to avoid frying the PCB.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Thanks to all who contributed. I changed the RAM (4GB) with a 2GB from a similar Toshiba Statellite (C855D-S5303)and it worked. To my surprise, the 8GB RAM worked in the second laptop but will not work in the first one (-S5356). I have tried several times but will not work. Any explanation?

once again thanks to you all and I say more grease to your elbows.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, March 13, 2016 at 12:14:57 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks to all who contributed. I changed the RAM (4GB) with a 2GB from a similar Toshiba Statellite (C855D-S5303)and it worked. To my surprise, the 8GB RAM worked in the second laptop but will not work in the first one (-S5356). I have tried several times but will not work. Any explanation?

once again thanks to you all and I say more grease to your elbows.

Each motherboard is designed to handle a specific maximum amount of memory. Carefully look up the specs for the machine that would not work with the 8GB and you will likely see that it has a max of either 2 or 4. The lack of support for the additional "address lines" will cause the memory stick to have 2 locations responding to a single address, thus causing it not to work properly. Think of this as 2 people speaking at the same time. It rarely ends well...

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Pls
My Toshiba laptop Statellite C855-S5356, When switched on boots up to the bios stage then the screen will change to some multi-checker boxes (as if using a scratched DVD in a DVD player)then the screen will go off for about 10 seconds then it will repeat that process(on and off)but takes a longer time to come on again each successive time. I tried an external monitor but there was no display. I removed the harddisk but the problem remained the same, remove the battery-same.
I will be happy if l can get some help here. Thanks

I fully understand now thank you.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Bios virus