DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/385925-sony-cd-radio-wonts-stay-turned.html)

Nick de Smith October 12th 15 11:00 AM

Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced :)

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

[email protected] October 12th 15 03:12 PM

Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

electolytic caps on the B+

Mark

Nick de Smith October 12th 15 06:27 PM

Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

On Monday, 12 October 2015 15:12:35 UTC+1, wrote:
electolytic caps on the B+

Mark

Checked the main reservoir caps - 6800uF @ 25V - ESR was 0R2 @ 100Hz, seems pretty much ok...

Nick

M Philbrook October 13th 15 12:29 AM

Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

In article ,
says...

Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced :)

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

sounds like a cap reforming..

Jamie

Phil Allison[_3_] October 13th 15 05:55 AM

Nick de Smith wrote:

Checked the main reservoir caps - 6800uF @ 25V
- ESR was 0R2 @ 100Hz, seems pretty much ok...

** That figure would be the cap's impedance at 100Hz.

The ESR value is much lower, maybe 0.02 ohms.

Most ESR testers use a frequency between 20kHz and 100kHz, where the impedance and ESR values are near the same.

..... Phil

NewsDemon October 21st 15 03:09 AM

Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

"M Philbrook" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte
player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do
NOT want to scrap it unless forced :)

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you
press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5
seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns
off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine -
the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch,
so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

sounds like a cap reforming..

Jamie

Nope. Bad connection somewhere. Solder connection, problem with a connector,
etc.

Mark Z.

Mark Zacharias[_3_] October 22nd 15 12:56 PM

"NewsDemon" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry for multiple postings. Problem with new server.

mz

[email protected] October 22nd 15 01:28 PM

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 6:00:31 AM UTC-4, Nick de Smith wrote:
Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced :)

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

First, the disclaimer: I am not familiar with that unit.

Now the two alternate diagnoses:
a) If a capacitance-start (solid-state contact-start switch), replace the capacitors as already noted. It might not be a bad idea in any case. And don't stop with the main filters, look to any caps in the starting circuit. Such switches may also operate a small reed relay or solid-state relay. If a reed relay, it may be worn out and not holding. If an SS relay, see caps, above and elsewhere.

b) If a mechanical switch, look for dirty contacts, a slipped or worn-through contact or similar. Can you jumper the switch and have it operate normally?

As I remember, and, for the record, that little pacific-rim audio equipment that I own is all Sony or Yamaha, Sony does like solid-state switches as they are much easier to manage with remote control, so I expect that this will devolve to a capacitor problem.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA