Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony CD/Radio wont's stay turned on...

Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

electolytic caps on the B+

Mark
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, 12 October 2015 15:12:35 UTC+1, wrote:
electolytic caps on the B+

Mark

Checked the main reservoir caps - 6800uF @ 25V - ESR was 0R2 @ 100Hz, seems pretty much ok...

Nick
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Nick de Smith wrote:

Checked the main reservoir caps - 6800uF @ 25V
- ESR was 0R2 @ 100Hz, seems pretty much ok...

** That figure would be the cap's impedance at 100Hz.

The ESR value is much lower, maybe 0.02 ohms.

Most ESR testers use a frequency between 20kHz and 100kHz, where the impedance and ESR values are near the same.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 6:00:31 AM UTC-4, Nick de Smith wrote:
Hi - I have an old-but-very-good-condition SOny CFD-44 rado/CD/Casstte player - been reliable for many years... Extremely well made unit - do NOT want to scrap it unless forced

Recently, every so often it won't stay turned-on - when it's off, you press the power button and the red power LED comes on for maybe 0.5 seconds - a very small "pop" from the loudspeakers, and it then turns off - normally, a light press on the power button and it stays on fine - the power button is a momentary-press push-button, not a latching switch, so its not that.

When its fine (90% of the time) it's an excellend radio cassette...

Bit puzzled as to where to go next...

Thanks

First, the disclaimer: I am not familiar with that unit.

Now the two alternate diagnoses:
a) If a capacitance-start (solid-state contact-start switch), replace the capacitors as already noted. It might not be a bad idea in any case. And don't stop with the main filters, look to any caps in the starting circuit. Such switches may also operate a small reed relay or solid-state relay. If a reed relay, it may be worn out and not holding. If an SS relay, see caps, above and elsewhere.

b) If a mechanical switch, look for dirty contacts, a slipped or worn-through contact or similar. Can you jumper the switch and have it operate normally?

As I remember, and, for the record, that little pacific-rim audio equipment that I own is all Sony or Yamaha, Sony does like solid-state switches as they are much easier to manage with remote control, so I expect that this will devolve to a capacitor problem.

Best of luck with it.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

gas oven hob wont stay lit after it gets hot [email protected] UK diy 3 September 15th 12 08:00 AM
It wont stay shut by itself john hamilton[_2_] UK diy 53 June 7th 10 10:21 PM
Lawnmower - Wont stay running Joe Bott Home Repair 4 October 2nd 05 11:14 PM
Garage Door Wont Stay Up Steve UK diy 12 February 24th 05 05:22 PM
Vinyl Windows wont stay up Joseph A. Zupko Home Repair 0 June 30th 03 04:37 AM