DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Before it's put on a slow boat from China (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/385072-before-its-put-slow-boat-china.html)

amdx[_3_] September 22nd 15 05:41 PM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

Refoamed a set of Pioneer HPM 700 speakers, also put two OEM tweeters
in them. I thought I was done, listening test showed no output from one
tweeter, found bulging cap in crossover. Argh!

Mike

Ralph Mowery September 22nd 15 05:54 PM

"amdx" wrote in message
I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

You might try ebay at this number. It is 100 volts but going up in voltage
should be ok. There are others if you don't mind higher voltage.

321699248915

amdx[_3_] September 22nd 15 05:59 PM

On 9/22/2015 11:54 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message
I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

You might try ebay at this number. It is 100 volts but going up in voltage
should be ok. There are others if you don't mind higher voltage.

321699248915

Yes,
That is the axial I found.
They sell it on their website for $0.50 with $6.95 shipping.

Thanks, Mikek

Spehro Pefhany September 22nd 15 06:51 PM

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:41:58 -0500, amdx wrote:

I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

$1.45 in singles for a Panasonic 2.7uF 100V film cap from Digikey.
ECQ-E1275KF Radial lead (but not a can).

Refoamed a set of Pioneer HPM 700 speakers, also put two OEM tweeters
in them. I thought I was done, listening test showed no output from one
tweeter, found bulging cap in crossover. Argh!

Mike

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

amdx[_3_] September 22nd 15 06:56 PM

On 9/22/2015 12:51 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:41:58 -0500, amdx wrote:

I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

$1.45 in singles for a Panasonic 2.7uF 100V film cap from Digikey.
ECQ-E1275KF Radial lead (but not a can).

Yes, I see I have other options, I was hoping to install a cap that
looks like the original 1982, 10mm x 22mm capacitor. I may not get what
I want.

Thanks, Mikek

Martin Riddle[_2_] September 23rd 15 01:35 AM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:41:58 -0500, amdx wrote:

I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

Refoamed a set of Pioneer HPM 700 speakers, also put two OEM tweeters
in them. I thought I was done, listening test showed no output from one
tweeter, found bulging cap in crossover. Argh!

Mike

Parts express
http://www.parts-express.com/27uf-100v-electrolytic-non-polarized-crossover-capacitor--027-326

Cheers

ehsjr[_4_] September 23rd 15 02:57 AM

On 9/22/2015 1:56 PM, amdx wrote:
On 9/22/2015 12:51 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2015 11:41:58 -0500, amdx wrote:

I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

$1.45 in singles for a Panasonic 2.7uF 100V film cap from Digikey.
ECQ-E1275KF Radial lead (but not a can).

Yes, I see I have other options, I was hoping to install a cap that
looks like the original 1982, 10mm x 22mm capacitor. I may not get what
I want.

Thanks, Mikek

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Ed

amdx[_3_] September 23rd 15 01:10 PM

On 9/22/2015 8:57 PM, ehsjr wrote:
On 9/22/2015 1:56 PM, amdx wrote:
[...]

It actually split the plastic cover and doesn't look to good anymore.

Mikek

Mike Tomlinson September 28th 15 05:22 AM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

En el artículo , ehsjr
escribió:

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Posted without comment :)

http://www.anonpic.com/images/fakecapacitor1.jpg

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

[email protected] September 28th 15 10:27 PM

On Tuesday, September 22, 2015 at 12:42:03 PM UTC-4, amdx wrote:
I need a 2.7uf 63V non-polarized capacitor for a speaker crossover.
It is a radial lead 10mm x 22mm cap.
Ebay has them from China. (slow boat)
I've checked Digi-Key, Mouser, Allied, and Newark.
I've also checked several speaker part sellers.
I have found an axial lead cap, for $0.50 plus $6.95 shipping.
But I'd prefer a radial lead.

Have any other sources?

Refoamed a set of Pioneer HPM 700 speakers, also put two OEM tweeters
in them. I thought I was done, listening test showed no output from one
tweeter, found bulging cap in crossover. Argh!

Mike

You can use two standard caps back-to-back (+ -- +). But they should be 6uF caps. Back to back, they will test out at 3uF. If you screen them carefully, you should be able to get very close to the 2.7 you need. Or, use 2.5uF caps as electrolytics tend to run 'fat' rather than 'lean'. Or, use a film cap, full stop.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...B&kpid=3343101

Polarity will not be a problem.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Ralph Barone[_2_] September 29th 15 02:52 AM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , ehsjr
escribió:

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Posted without comment :)

http://www.anonpic.com/images/fakecapacitor1.jpg

The Rubycon 35V rated caps must be pretty good :-)

John Devereux[_2_] September 29th 15 07:18 PM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

Ralph Barone writes:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , ehsjr
escribió:

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Posted without comment :)

http://www.anonpic.com/images/fakecapacitor1.jpg

The Rubycon 35V rated caps must be pretty good :-)

They *are* pretty good aren't they? That surprised me a bit, putting a
decent brand name inside a fake.

Hmm... perhaps the Rubycons are fake too... Is there something else
inside them too?

--

John Devereux

Phil Hobbs September 30th 15 01:42 AM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

On 09/29/2015 02:18 PM, John Devereux wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , ehsjr
escribió:

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Posted without comment :)

http://www.anonpic.com/images/fakecapacitor1.jpg

The Rubycon 35V rated caps must be pretty good :-)

They *are* pretty good aren't they? That surprised me a bit, putting a
decent brand name inside a fake.

Hmm... perhaps the Rubycons are fake too... Is there something else
inside them too?

The Rubycon looks like it was salvaged from a discarded board.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net

rickman September 30th 15 03:22 AM

On 9/29/2015 8:42 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote:
On 09/29/2015 02:18 PM, John Devereux wrote:
Ralph Barone writes:

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artÃ*culo , ehsjr
escribió:

Maybe very careful surgery of the old cap, stuff the
new one inside the hollowed out old one to get the
old "look"?

Posted without comment :)

http://www.anonpic.com/images/fakecapacitor1.jpg

The Rubycon 35V rated caps must be pretty good :-)

They *are* pretty good aren't they? That surprised me a bit, putting a
decent brand name inside a fake.

Hmm... perhaps the Rubycons are fake too... Is there something else
inside them too?

The Rubycon looks like it was salvaged from a discarded board.

That's what they want you to think.

--

Rick

Mike Tomlinson September 30th 15 10:47 AM

Before it's put on a slow boat from China

En el artículo , John Devereux
escribió:

Hmm... perhaps the Rubycons are fake too...

*ding*

Look more closely at the logo. It's "Rulycon", a fake designed to look
like Rubycon.

These came out about the same time as the "bad caps" scandal a few years
ago.

--
(\_/)