Bill Janssen

Default ? Radio in 91 Ford pickup

My radio has a problem of the volume changing from normal to loud and
back
I have been putting off pulling it, to bench check and am wondering if
anyone
has solved this already and/or knows if this is common. It would be nice
if this is a recognized
problem and the fix is known.

Other wise I will put it on the bench and start making tests.

Anyone seen this before?

Bill K7NOM

Jeff

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
My radio has a problem of the volume changing from normal to loud and
back
I have been putting off pulling it, to bench check and am wondering if
anyone
has solved this already and/or knows if this is common. It would be nice
if this is a recognized
problem and the fix is known.

Other wise I will put it on the bench and start making tests.

Anyone seen this before?

Bill K7NOM

Just a few hundred.
It would depend on which radio is in it, 19B132/1 or
19B165, the first 2 a few caps and cleaning, the later
a lot of caps, face mod, and a lot of cleaning.
Jeff

Bill Janssen

Jeff wrote:

"Bill Janssen" wrote in message
My radio has a problem of the volume changing from normal to loud and
back
I have been putting off pulling it, to bench check and am wondering if
anyone
has solved this already and/or knows if this is common. It would be nice
if this is a recognized
problem and the fix is known.

Other wise I will put it on the bench and start making tests.

Anyone seen this before?

Bill K7NOM

Just a few hundred.
It would depend on which radio is in it, 19B132/1 or
19B165, the first 2 a few caps and cleaning, the later
a lot of caps, face mod, and a lot of cleaning.
Jeff

Thanks for that. That is what I would check first so it's
good to have your experance as backup.

What is "face mod"? Cleaning, I understand :-)

Bill K7NOM

Jeremy D. Grotte

Wierd you should mention this, in fact I never though it would come up
again. My parents had a 91 F-150 back in '94, the volume was screwing up,
going loud, getting soft, by itself, and all of the speakers would cut in
and out. I pulled the radio, opened it up and found cold solder joints on
the ALL wires leading out to the speakers AND on the rotary encoder dial
switch thingy used for the volume, 6 pins on that switch if I remember
right. Don't know why it did it. But I reflowed the speaker wires, the
speakers were fixed, volume still went up and down, reflowed the solder on
the dial, worked like a champ...at least until the truck got rolled over
JDG

Jeff wrote:

[...]

Bill Janssen

"Jeremy D. Grotte" wrote:

Wierd you should mention this, in fact I never though it would come up
again. My parents had a 91 F-150 back in '94, the volume was screwing up,
going loud, getting soft, by itself, and all of the speakers would cut in
and out. I pulled the radio, opened it up and found cold solder joints on
the ALL wires leading out to the speakers AND on the rotary encoder dial
switch thingy used for the volume, 6 pins on that switch if I remember
right. Don't know why it did it. But I reflowed the speaker wires, the
speakers were fixed, volume still went up and down, reflowed the solder on
the dial, worked like a champ...at least until the truck got rolled over
JDG

Cold solder joints again. I thought automatics soldering was supposed to fix
that.
Ok I know how to fix that. So that will be the first thing
I will look for. Then after that I will check for any electrolitics in the audio
etc.

Thanks
Bill K7NOM