Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Replacing iPad digitizer hints

To All,
I broke the digitizer on my iPad. I watched the videos online and read
the instructions. Nevertheless I tore the wifi antenna in half and
somehow damaged the ribbon cable that goes to the power, volume, and
lock switches. The damage was invisible even under magnification so I
don't know what exactly I did. My advice is if you need to replace a
digitizer you should also buy a new plastic bezel for the digitizer, a
wifi antenna, and one power cable with the switches attached. Make
sure the digitizer and bezel come with the tape already applied. Just
the experience of someone who has only done this once. The extra parts
are cheap, less than ten dollars total, and having them on hand will
help make the job go faster. I had to keep waiting for stuff as I
discovered more damage. After I got the old digitizer off there was
adhesive residue that needed removal. I used Q-tip cotton swabs wetted
with acetone. Not too wet, you don't want drips. This means using
about twenty Q-tips but they are cheap too. The acetone did not
liquify the residue, just made it soft enough to come away from the
metal and stick to the swab. Use a magnifier to make sure everything
is clean and free of glass shards and adhesive. Wear nitrile gloves.
Make damn sure you test the iPad with the digitizer just laying on top
and damn sure the display is clean before you set it in place
permanently.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, June 12, 2015 at 2:27:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I believe Tekserve is the repair shop that Apple operates.

iPad 2 Bill[_18_] UK diy 25 June 24th 11 01:04 AM
Wiki: Slide digitizer [email protected] UK diy 37 May 28th 09 04:05 PM
Hints on replacing Hotpoint DY46X oven fan unit MM UK diy 0 February 10th 09 04:41 PM
Summagraphics Digitizer Controller Needs Repair powerseed Electronics Repair 14 May 23rd 08 02:05 AM
splice advice PDA digitizer cable aeacsharp Electronics Repair 1 July 24th 05 07:34 PM