DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Installing FTDI drivers? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/378382-installing-ftdi-drivers.html)

DaveC[_3_] March 26th 15 03:51 PM

Installing FTDI drivers?

I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.*

Iım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?*

Thanks,
Dave

DaveC[_3_] March 26th 15 05:30 PM

Installing FTDI drivers?

For OS X Mavericks (10.9) Apple apparently developed their own drivers for
the FTDI chip which donıt exactly work. So the solution is to disable those
built-in drivers and install the drivers available from FTDIıs web site.*

The procedure is documented he

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=198539.0

Note that the drivers on the FTDI download page show latest compatibility as
Lion (10.7) but reports are that they are working with Mavericks and
Yosemite.*

FYI

Dennis March 26th 15 06:14 PM

Installing FTDI drivers?

On 03/26/2015 10:51 AM, DaveC wrote:
I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.

Iım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?

Thanks,
Dave

It may be a moot point - the last couple of versions of real Arduino
boards don't use FTDI chips. They use an Atmega chip with a USB interface.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno

Rheilly Phoull[_2_] March 26th 15 10:13 PM

Installing FTDI drivers?

On 26/03/15 11:51 PM, DaveC wrote:
I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.

IÂım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIÂıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?

Thanks,
Dave

Have you visited the Arduino site ??
You would be safe enough with stuff from there.