Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Installing FTDI drivers?

I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.*

Iım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?*

Thanks,
Dave

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

For OS X Mavericks (10.9) Apple apparently developed their own drivers for
the FTDI chip which donıt exactly work. So the solution is to disable those
built-in drivers and install the drivers available from FTDIıs web site.*

The procedure is documented he

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=198539.0

Note that the drivers on the FTDI download page show latest compatibility as
Lion (10.7) but reports are that they are working with Mavericks and
Yosemite.*

FYI

Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 03/26/2015 10:51 AM, DaveC wrote:
I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.

Iım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?

Thanks,
Dave

It may be a moot point - the last couple of versions of real Arduino
boards don't use FTDI chips. They use an Atmega chip with a USB interface.
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardUno
Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

On 26/03/15 11:51 PM, DaveC wrote:
I want to experiment a little with Arduino. Apparently I need to install FTDI
serial drivers to communicate with the Arduino board.

IÂım quite wary about bricking my Arduino, remembering the recent FTDI driver
scandal. (Who knows by sight which chips are legitimate and which are
counterfeit?) ::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FTDI#Driver_controversy

Is it safe to install the FTDI driver for OS X listed on FTDIÂıs download
page? ::

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

If not, where to get drivers for OS X?

Thanks,
Dave

Have you visited the Arduino site ??
You would be safe enough with stuff from there.

Installing french door. (Installing frame without doors) [email protected] Home Repair 16 October 21st 14 03:58 AM
LED drivers Jim K[_3_] UK diy 7 November 18th 13 10:31 PM
New drivers Maria UK diy 0 October 7th 11 01:46 AM
New drivers Jules Richardson UK diy 1 October 5th 11 10:40 PM
Installing bar sink in basement, need advice/help on installing drain in concrete Randall2n Home Repair 8 December 29th 03 04:20 PM