Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CableWizard (InFocus vid proj.) IEEE-1284 pinning?

N_Cook wrote:

Surely I'm not the first to have to work out from suck-it-and-see?
My googling did not throw it up.
36 way mini-centronics connector, which pins for ,primarily, SVGA
connection and secondly serial Rx/Tx pins.?
Dumpster dive projector , managed to repair power supply, but no
semi-proprietary lead with it of course. A previous Infocus projector I
made up a semi-proprietary M1 connector and lead and worked out the
pinning , but anyone been here before for another Infocus? I'm not
convinced there is a genuine supplier of these in the UK and 50 dollars
+??? if genuine

You sure this is IEEE-1284? That is usually used for printers and
scanners, and is basically a standard bi-dir printer port with some
different use of the signals. If it really is IEEE-1284, then
there are a number of references online to the pinout, signalling
protocol, etc. Know that IEEE-1284 and EPP parallel port are the
same thing. Some of the places that have info are Warp 9 Engineering
and the Jan Axelson book.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 14/05/2014 03:39, Jon Elson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

[...]

IEEE-1284 mentioned in the service manual. Its what proprietary leads is
all about , use standard hardware in non-standard way.
For passing SVGA/RS232 and 2 audio channels. Gnd lines seem almost
random posistioning along the 36 lines
First hurdle, what I thought would be nice entry into pinning , traces
connected to the connector, turn out to be Harris ESD protection ICs, so
I'll have to trace back further. Plus ,when I get the projector back in
its casing, powering up and looking for RS232 type standing Vs for a start
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Infocus LP435Z, 1024x768 projector, usual non-component level SM. I
think I've identified the chippery and lines and IEEE pinning for the 2x
audio ch, serial tranceiver, RGB inputs and sync inputs groups, time to
put the lumps back in its case and get it powered up in a more secure
way to differentiate (suck and see) further Vsync from Hsync, R/G/B etc
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Not that I know Polish, but someone in poland seems to have been here before
http://obrazki.elektroda.pl/1605251400_1324205879.jpg

this pcb looks the same
http://obrazki.elektroda.net/24_1269853311.jpg

on thread
http://www.elektroda.pl/rtvforum/vie...820370#7820370

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:

IEEE-1284 mentioned in the service manual. Its what proprietary leads is
all about , use standard hardware in non-standard way.
For passing SVGA/RS232 and 2 audio channels. Gnd lines seem almost
random posistioning along the 36 lines
First hurdle, what I thought would be nice entry into pinning , traces
connected to the connector, turn out to be Harris ESD protection ICs, so
I'll have to trace back further. Plus ,when I get the projector back in
its casing, powering up and looking for RS232 type standing Vs for a start

IEEE-1284 is a version of the PC parallel port, with a bidirectional
8-bit data bus, and some hardware handshaking for clocking bytes
across the bus. All signals are roughly TTL compatible digital
signals. IEEE-1284 is also a software protocol for ID-ing devices
on the bus.

SVGA is an analog separate color scheme with digital H- and V-sync
signals. Not sure what SVGA/RS232 is, seems like a very odd
combination, but it certainly has nothing to do with IEEE-1284.

What it sure sounds like is they used a standard connector, and maybe
even standard cables, to run a totally different set of signals
to the projector.

If your projector has the HD15 connector, I'd just skip the 36-pin
one. If it only has the 36-pin connector, then use the Polish
document you were VERY luck to find (!!) and make up a patch
cable. You can probably find an old printer cable somewhere
and cut into it. It doesn't have to be an IEEE-1284 cable,
the ancient "Centronics" connector has been in use since the
first PC's. (Amphenol micro blue-ribbon.)

Jon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 15/05/2014 03:09, Jon Elson wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

[...]

The Polish pinning for one SVGA connection agrees with a set of standing
voltages on my one. A similar set is probably for PC2 feed or perhaps
thru connection of PC1, the +/-9V pins are probably 2 RS232 or 1 fully
constituted RS232 lines , just leaves the audio to confirm by feeding in
some audio in an hour or so. And also a 12V pin. The point is, there is
just this mini-centronics connector for all the main inputs/outputs,
plus S video , 3x RCA video+audio and a 3.5mm audio input. Expensive but
could have bought a 3M male connector but that would be for ribbon,
awkward to connect to a chopped off SVGA lead. Used some interboard
finger off a scrap PC card and a slightly squashed 15 pin D connector
shell and hotmelt to fabricate a functional and convincing looking
connector. Much easier to fit a 15 way screened lead to.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My first atempt at making a mini-centronics connector did not work
reliably. Second attempt and all 36 contacts good. Can confirm that
Polish pinning works for SVGA connection, at 800x600 at least, despite
not seemingly logical compared to the standing voltages on the projector
connector.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Just as well the Polish guy checked continuity of a CableWizard and
placed in wwwland.
36 way connector 3.72*10^41 permutations, even minus 6 grounds
2.65*10^32 permutations. The pc2 group is probably the 2.7V standing Vs
for the R/G/B, low voltages for audio and +/-9V for the RS232/s?, far
less permutations for anyone needing those inputs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think 2 of the Polish pinnings are wrong, for 1024x768 XVGA.
15 pin "SVGA" p12 and p15 should be n/c rather stated, p15 makes no
sense tying it to Blue signal and p12 to 5V , maybe high rather than a
supply, but for ID0/1/2/3 purposes probably safer , with I2C option on
that pin, to leave open. p4 and p11 to ground for XVGA setting