Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do remote keypads sweat silcone oil?

On Friday, December 8, 2000 5:18:05 PM UTC-8, Michael Shell wrote:
Ok folks I think I have an answer!

Daniel Malik noticed that the keys (and remotes) that are used more
often, tend to have more oil problems. This is in agreement with my
observations.

One thing I have to make clear is that I *_KNOW_ * that whatever is
going on is NOT due to spillage or other external contamination. If I
had not seen it with my own eyes, I would not believe it either!...

The oil behaves a bit differently from most normal household
(and hand) oils.

1. It is not sticky in the least
2. It is VERY clear.
3. It is VERY hydrophobic and detergent action is noticeably less
than with most petroleum based oils.

I would not have noticed these fine points except for the fact that
I have worked with Silicone (DOT 5) brake fluid...

Probably, the rubbery key material is compounded with a plasticizer.
The oil is really the plasticizer material oozing out.

Plasticizers are additives that keep plastics flexible or springy, and
they can come out of the plastic as it ages (gummed-up old vinyl power
cords are a familiar example).

Brake fluid contains a plasticizer (to keep the o-rings and seals
properly rubbery).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 13 Feb 2014, whit3rd wrote:

[...]

I'm pretty sure something about this is in the FAQ. No reason to agree to
a 14 year old post. The guy isn't here anymore.

Michael

Do remote keypads sweat silcone oil? [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 16th 14 11:21 PM
Silcone sheet or similar Nick Maclaren UK diy 7 February 23rd 08 09:24 PM
garage door keypads [email protected] Home Repair 0 October 21st 07 01:43 AM
Keypads Rob Electronics Repair 3 December 3rd 05 08:22 PM
Repairing conductive rubber keypads Guy Macon Electronics Repair 1 December 21st 04 06:54 PM