Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

Default Identifying buck-boost transformer windings?

I have the wiring diagrams in .pdf for Square D buck/boost xmfrs. The
X wires are the heavy wires and the H wires the thin wires. X1 and X2
are the ends of one winding. X2 and X3 the ends of another winding.
The other windings are similar. Anyway, if you send me an email I'll
send you the .pdf of the wiring manual. Then you will be able to
figure out how to wire the thing. It should be easy enough, just
measure the output in one random configuration and you will be able to
tell what's what by looking at the manual.
Eric

Have a wiring diag:

http://oi59.tinypic.com/v3fuog.jpg

How to wire it isn't the question. Which wires are H1, H2, X1, X2, etc. is
the question.

Series light bulb or Variac (will use 120 mains for testing as that is the
only Variac I have...) seems the answer.

Remaining question: are H1/2 and H3/4 primary windings interchangeable? X1/2
and X3/4 windings interchangeable?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:44:18 -0800, the renowned DaveC
wrote:

[...]

Say you have 8 wires. If you measure the resistance between any one
wire and any of the remaining 7 wires, what do you get? There are 28
unique combinations (8 * 7/2):

Eg.

Wire to Wire R (Ohms) ??
A B
A C
A D
A E
A F
A G
A H
B C
B D
B E
B F
B G
B H
C D
C E
C F
C G
C H
D E
D F
D G
D H
E F
E G
E H
F G
F H
G H

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:44:18 -0800, DaveC wrote:

[...]

Dave,
In my first post I mentioned which wire were which. To reiterate, on
my xmfr, the heavy wires are the X wires, the thin wires are the H
wires. The difference in size is about 4 to 1. Now, these wires are
the ones that show coming out of the potting compound. I cannot see
the actual coils because the whole xmfr is potted. I looked at the
picture in the link you sent me. If this is all the info you have then
you don't have enough. I checked my email and I didn't see one from
you. The email address with my posts is a real one. Send me an email
and I'll send you the manual which will explain the whole thing. The
manual has many wiring diagrams which will help you get it right the
first time. Or just search online for a buck/boost wiring manual.
That's how I found mine. I'm no electrician or electronics guy and it
took me less than 15 minutes to figure out the wiring of the xmfrs for
my 3 phase machine.
Eric

---