Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Default How do I get Voice-to-Text back in my Android 4.3 for SMS texting?

All of a sudden, I lost the little microphone icon in my default SMS
text application on the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/1...6d7946d1_o.png

This is an important omission, since I do offline speech-to-text
SMS text messages (I almost never use my fat fingers to text).

To get back that offline microphone app, I suspect I need to *install*
something, because it *was* there from the beginning - but now it's
(suddenly) gone!

But what free app do I download to get *back* that little microphone?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I don't know if this applies to you but a friend of mine said he had that for a time and later found out it was only a free trial and then they wantted money. He no longer has it.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 15:43:25 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

But what free app do I download to get *back* that little microphone?

Googling, I first thought that little microphone which is now missing
in the keyboard might have originally come from "Google Voice Search":
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id.voicesearch

But, "Google Voice Search" is already installed, and has been installed
since before I upgraded from Android 4.2.1 to Android 4.3.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7323/1...97022d25_o.jpg

Q: What is the app that adds a microphone to the standard keyboard?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 09:12:07 -0800, jurb6006 wrote:

I don't know if this applies to you but a friend of mine said he had that
for a time and later found out it was only a free trial and then they
wantted money. He no longer has it.

Well, if I knew what had put the little offline microphone into the
default keyboard in the first place, I could look up the terms and
conditions - but I don' think it was trialware because the voice-to-text
microphone was on the phone for more than a year.

That keyboard microphone disappeared about the time I upgraded to Android 4.3.

What I've done, in the meantime, is just now I installed a dozen purported
offline voice-to-text applications.

Maybe one of those will bring the microphone back.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:41:08 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

Maybe one of those will bring the microphone back.

None of these voice-to-text apps worked, so, something is missing:
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5548/1...fe100b04_o.gif

Each app gave a different (but similar) error:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2835/1...9096ec75_o.png
- Sorry, you have no app for voice recognition.
- You have no app to recognize speech, sorry.
- Recognizer not present.
- Recognition service is not available.
- Not a system app. Illegal installation.
- Voice recognition is not installed.

Perhaps the most detailed error message was:
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2827/1...f9023379_o.jpg
Runtime Error: No activity found to handle
intent {
act=android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH
(has extraqs)}

But, since "Google Search" *is* installed, what are these error
messages trying to tell me is actually missing?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:29:26 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

I'm googling for the error:

RuntimeError: No activity found to handle intent {act=android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH (has extras)}

and I'm finding it's a common one.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 19:34:05 +0000, Danny D'Amico wrote:

RuntimeError: No activity found to handle intent
{act=android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH (has extras)}

I'm pretty sure something is missing, but what?
Here's all the "google stuff" I have installed:
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3832/1...72dfb18f_o.png

- Gmail
- Google Play Books
- Google Play Games
- Google Play Movies & TV
- Google Play Music
- Google Play Store
- Google Text-to-speech Engine

Do you recognize what is missing?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Danny D'Amico wrote:
All of a sudden, I lost the little microphone icon in my default SMS
text application on the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/1...6d7946d1_o.png

This is an important omission, since I do offline speech-to-text
SMS text messages (I almost never use my fat fingers to text).

To get back that offline microphone app, I suspect I need to *install*
something, because it *was* there from the beginning - but now it's
(suddenly) gone!

But what free app do I download to get *back* that little microphone?

Check settings, language & input, mine works (v4.0.4) and is set to default
to Google keyboard, Google voice typing is set to automatic ...should place
a microphone on keyboard when you tap input area!
--
Ben aka cMech http://cmech.dynip.com
Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 22:04:56 +0000, Ben Ritchey wrote:

Check settings, language & input, mine works (v4.0.4) and is set to
default to Google keyboard, Google voice typing is set to automatic
...should place a microphone on keyboard when you tap input area!

I've hit every single button or option in Android 4.3 "Language & Input".

They moved it, in 4.3 to:
Settings-My Device-Language and input-Default-Google Keyboard

I even tried removing and adding "Google Keyboard", all to no avail.

Once Google Keyboard is selected in "Language and input", clicking
Google Keyboard-Settings-Voice input key=checked

There's nothing else about the audio or microphone input to the
keyboard.

I think my problem is that neither I, nor anyone else, knows how
audio works on Android. Something fundamental is missing or corrupt.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:41:08 -0700, Danny D'Amico wrote:

...snip...

Maybe one of those will bring the microphone back.

get a gmail account with voicemail capability. the telephone number you
get converts voice to text and emails you the message.

it's free, too. doesn't do a bad job on numbers, but it's a hoot on
dialects.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 07 Feb 2014 06:18:47 -0700, RobertMacy wrote:

get a gmail account with voicemail capability. the telephone number you
get converts voice to text and emails you the message.

I apologize for not being specific enough in the request.

What I'm trying to accomplish, is, speaking into the phone, using the
microphone of the phone instead of the keyboard, and having that spoken
sentence transcribed into an SMS text message.

I'm pretty sure "something" deep inside the operating system is
corrupted, since I've uninstalled and re-installed multiple keyboards,
and a half-dozen voice-to-sms programs, and all those speech-to-text
programs complain about a missing underlying hook:
RuntimeError: No activity found to handle intent
{act=android.speech.action.RECOGNIZE_SPEECH (has extras)}

At this point, I probably need to either find someone who knows what that
underlying program actually is; or, if it's an inconspicuous part of the
Android operating system, then I need to re-install the OS.

Is there a way to update the Android operating system on a T-Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.3 when the operating system is
slightly corrupted (but otherwise up to date already)?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Fri, 7 Feb 2014 14:58:23 +0000 (UTC), Danny D'Amico
wrote:

[...]

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

?-)
Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:43:13 -0800, josephkk wrote:

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

Unfortunatly, I've installed so much on this Android phone that I really
do not know /when/ the problems started.

While cleaning things up, /think/ I may have uninstalled a Google "service"
that apparently controls the voice recognition.

So, what I really need to figure out is how to get a system /back/ to
where it was, with respect to all the /required/ services.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check for all the required
services (because clearly I'm missing one of them)?

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:43:13 -0800, josephkk wrote:

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

Unfortunatly, I've installed so much on this Android phone that I really
do not know /when/ the problems started.

While cleaning things up, /think/ I may have uninstalled a Google "service"
that apparently controls the voice recognition.

So, what I really need to figure out is how to get a system /back/ to
where it was, with respect to all the /required/ services.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check for all the required
services (because clearly I'm missing one of them)?

Have you tried 'settings'? - http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-Android-Phone

Good luck!

-
Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair

On 10.02.14 0:03, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:43:13 -0800, josephkk wrote:

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

Unfortunatly, I've installed so much on this Android phone that I really
do not know /when/ the problems started.

While cleaning things up, /think/ I may have uninstalled a Google "service"
that apparently controls the voice recognition.

So, what I really need to figure out is how to get a system /back/ to
where it was, with respect to all the /required/ services.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check for all the required
services (because clearly I'm missing one of them)?

Easy. Make a backup before you start experimenting.
No backup? In that case you are sure out of luck.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 01:17:31 +0100, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

On 10.02.14 0:03, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:43:13 -0800, josephkk wrote:

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

Unfortunatly, I've installed so much on this Android phone that I really
do not know /when/ the problems started.

While cleaning things up, /think/ I may have uninstalled a Google "service"
that apparently controls the voice recognition.

So, what I really need to figure out is how to get a system /back/ to
where it was, with respect to all the /required/ services.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check for all the required
services (because clearly I'm missing one of them)?

Easy. Make a backup before you start experimenting.
No backup? In that case you are sure out of luck.

If the android device is rooted, Titanium Backup does a very good back
up and restore.
Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 02/09/2014 03:03 PM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 13:43:13 -0800, josephkk wrote:

Call me crazy but didn't your problems start when you upgraded Android
itself? Maybe the answer is a downgrade?

Unfortunatly, I've installed so much on this Android phone that I really
do not know /when/ the problems started.

While cleaning things up, /think/ I may have uninstalled a Google "service"
that apparently controls the voice recognition.

So, what I really need to figure out is how to get a system /back/ to
where it was, with respect to all the /required/ services.

Does anyone know if there is a way to check for all the required
services (because clearly I'm missing one of them)?

Every carrier has its own suite of installed apps. I have a Credo phone.
I get Google Play, Plus Samsung and Sprint Stores. You should be able to
flash it back to Factory. Backup your data files onto a removeable.
Remove it. Then Restore.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have the same problem. There is a T where the microphone used to be. Let me know if you come up eith a solution.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have the same problem. There is a T where the microphone used to be. Let me know if you come up eith a solution.

Posted to comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.freeware

On 2/6/2014 10:43 AM, Danny D'Amico wrote:
All of a sudden, I lost the little microphone icon in my default SMS
text application on the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 on Android 4.3.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7373/1...6d7946d1_o.png

This is an important omission, since I do offline speech-to-text
SMS text messages (I almost never use my fat fingers to text).

To get back that offline microphone app, I suspect I need to *install*
something, because it *was* there from the beginning - but now it's
(suddenly) gone!

But what free app do I download to get *back* that little microphone?

This happened to me on Android 4.4.2. I got the microphone back. I
don't know if 4.2 is the same, but maybe it is. Try this:

Go to Settings-Language & Input and make sure Google Voice Typing is
checked.

I know you've done that, but that's just half of what needs to be done.

Then touch Language, and select English. Without that, I think the
program still won't give you the microphone because it has to know what
language you're using before it can transcribe voice.

If you see an 'Auto' option for language, you can experiment with it,
but I don't think it will work. I think you need to use 'English'.

If that works or fails, let us know.

I got voice typing back by a much more circuitous route but I think the
above is all I really had to do.

The above advice came from a fellow name H Pham on the Yahoo Tracfone
Users group. If this works, he's the guy who deserves the credit. If
it doesn't work I'll tell you the terrible way I got it working, which
involved downloading Google Translate.

One way or another, I'm pretty sure it will work and I think it very
likely that it's a configuration problem, not a problem with needing to
download software. I think my downloading Google Translate caused
Google Translate to set the right configuration settings for me. I
don't think the software itself was needed.

Alan