Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default speaker phasing

I'm making some additions to my stereo system and I'll try to explain this as concise as possible. I have two additional speakers which I'd like to connect to the receiver in the living room. The room is about 15 X 22 feet. The existing two speakers are situated against an inside wall facing the windows. They are properly phased and sound very good. One of these existing speakers (left side speaker A system), is very slightly caddy corner so that it projects into the room. I would like to connect the additional left side counterpart on the opposite window wall so that it's speaker, (proposed speaker B system) is doing the same thing from the corner it's in. The new right speaker from proposed system B will essentially facing it's counterpart from speaker A system,separated by about 15 feet. What I'm trying to accomplish is more sound filling the room from more directions and hopefully simulating a sort of pseudo "surround" type of effect. But I'm not sure about how this is going to work out. Perhaps this is a mistake, so I thought I'd ask.

If all four speakers are facing one another and are in phase, and by this I mean before connecting to the receiver confirming that a small battery makes all four cones move in the same direction, connected like this what happens when the two lefts for instance are outputting the same signal. With the cones facing each other, will the projected sound buck and effectively try to cancel? Or should both cones in proposed B system be in phase as a pair but out of phase with respect to A system? Or should I forget the whole thing and just stick with my two existing A speakers? I hope I've explained this well. Thanks for any advice. Lenny