Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default AT&T DSL

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 13:52:20 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:23:04 -0400, micky
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:54:29 -0500, CRNG
wrote:

My data usage is about 8Gbytes/month total down/up. Just curious:
what download speed do you typically get from U-Verse?

I don't remember my speed, and I have Verizon, but I used to use some
pretty thin phone wire (the kind used to go from the wall to the
phone) to go from the the interface box 50 feet to the DSL modem.
When I swtiched to thicker, stiffer, round, white wire, my download
speed tripled and is now about what Verizon promised.

Not buying it. After a mile of 24ga wire, a few tens of feet of 26ga
isn't going to matter a whit. You had something else wrong that
replacing the wire solved (or it was a good placebo).

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a
website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a
dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and
consistent afterwards.

As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more
complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added
sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows
more than we do.

I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that
specializes in this sort of thing.

So when it was slower, it was my fault.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have Verizon DSL, and no fibers.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

My data usage is about 8Gbytes/month total down/up. Just curious:
what download speed do you typically get from U-Verse?

I don't remember my speed, and I have Verizon, but I used to use some
pretty thin phone wire (the kind used to go from the wall to the
phone) to go from the the interface box 50 feet to the DSL modem.
When I swtiched to thicker, stiffer, round, white wire, my download
speed tripled and is now about what Verizon promised.

Not buying it. After a mile of 24ga wire, a few tens of feet of 26ga
isn't going to matter a whit. You had something else wrong that
replacing the wire solved (or it was a good placebo).

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a
website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a
dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and
consistent afterwards.

Maybe.

As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more
complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added
sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows
more than we do.

After a mile of (really) crappy 24ga. wire, not so much.

I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that
specializes in this sort of thing.

What sort of stuff? Electronics?
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

No maybe. Do you think I can't read a number off the screen?

As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more
complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added
sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows
more than we do.

After a mile of (really) crappy 24ga. wire, not so much.

Yes, much. And there's more to the story.

I had bought special THIN phone wire with modular ends, so it would go
through a narrow space. After I installed that, I could still listen
to webradio but I couldn't download webpages. So I went back to the
wire I had been using (typical wire, not especially thin, from the
wall to the phone, with modular ends.) and everything worked again.

So then I though, maybe even this wire is too thin, and I changed to
the round white wire with 4 wires inside, thicker, each wire is
stiffer. It didnt' have modular plugs so I had to put a modular wall
jack on each end, and plug a short modular cord in each end, and when
connected, that's when the download speed tripled.

I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that
specializes in this sort of thing.

What sort of stuff? Electronics?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

First of all the problem wouldn't be the guage of the wire at all, it would be interconductor capacitance. You're not running an air conditioner, you are sending a radio signal.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Unless your system is timing out, speed should not be an issue for regular webpages. If the webradio is supplied separately by the ISP it's one thing but I assume you just mean it online, which require the downloading of a page no ? Maybe it's new on me, but I would think all of this uses the same frequencies, and webpages loaded a long time before there was streaming audio on the net.

No matter what I would repeat the test a whole bunch of times. First of all every time you disconnect the thing the modem has to reacquire the signal, and who knows what happens then in the way of what error correction might be applied.

Also note that DSL, which is usually ASDL, is not all that fast in the first place. Uverse might be different but if it has to come through a phone line it has to come through a phone line, period.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

A lot of those drugstore phone wires only have red and green.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

En el artículo , micky
escribió:

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a
website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a
dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and
consistent afterwards.

That's entirely possible. You changed untwisted wire for twisted pair
wire. Twisted pair cancels out interference, so I can well believe you
saw an increase in your DSL sync speed.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have no idea what you're reading or what else is going on. In
short, yes.

As to why it changed, transmission of computer data is more
complicated than analog sound or power to run a light bulb. I added
sci.electronics.repair and maybe we'll find someone there who knows
more than we do.

After a mile of (really) crappy 24ga. wire, not so much.

Yes, much. And there's more to the story.

No f'n way. Unless physics is different on your planet. What color
is your sky?

I had bought special THIN phone wire with modular ends, so it would go
through a narrow space. After I installed that, I could still listen
to webradio but I couldn't download webpages. So I went back to the
wire I had been using (typical wire, not especially thin, from the
wall to the phone, with modular ends.) and everything worked again.

You have something else wrong. A few tens of feet of wire isn't going
to do it.

So then I though, maybe even this wire is too thin, and I changed to
the round white wire with 4 wires inside, thicker, each wire is
stiffer. It didnt' have modular plugs so I had to put a modular wall
jack on each end, and plug a short modular cord in each end, and when
connected, that's when the download speed tripled.

You probably had noise on the line. Perhaps the ends were rectifying
a radio station, dunno, but it was *NOT* caused by thin wire.

I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that
specializes in this sort of thing.

What sort of stuff? Electronics?

Disintrest in knowledge noted.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 14:54:31 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo , micky
escribió:

Well it was no placebo. I'd measured my speed a dozen times on a
website that does that before I changed the wire; and I measure it a
dozen times after I changed the wire, and it was consistent before and
consistent afterwards.

That's entirely possible. You changed untwisted wire for twisted pair
wire. Twisted pair cancels out interference, so I can well believe you
saw an increase in your DSL sync speed.

Nope. After a mile of crappy phone company, ten feet of more crap
isn't going to matter.
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

En el artículo ,
escribió:

Nope. After a mile of crappy phone company, ten feet of more crap
isn't going to matter.

Clueless. Killfiled.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"I don't know one, but maybe there's an active newsgroup that
specializes in this sort of thing. "

Try in sci.electronics.design , at least they know what capacitance is. these people seem to think you are losing the signal resistively through the wire which is not true. What must be happening is thatt he conductors are too close together effectively forming a capacitor.

Run it by SED, they're just as cocky, but got more reason apparently.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Aug 2013 01:05:33 +0100, Mike Tomlinson
wrote:

En el artículo ,
escribió:

Nope. After a mile of crappy phone company, ten feet of more crap
isn't going to matter.

Clueless. Killfiled.

You're wrong, but you don't care about the facts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

But a bridge tap, that is open at the far end, will look like a short-circuit somewhere back toward its junction with the main line. The length of bridged line that will look like a short-circuit at the bridge tap depends on the electrical characteristics of the bridging wire and the frequencyof the signals. But if the overall circuit is close to being marginal, the extra 50 feet of wire bridged onto the main wire may very well be just enough of an impedance discontinuity to render the DSL ineffective. When we converted to DSL, I made sure that the line/wire from the telco point of presence to where the DSL signal was filtered/split off from the main telephone line was a straight shot, no splices or any dicontinuities. Once past the DSL filter, the phone line goes to several locations in both star and mesh configurations.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

?" I've been a practicing hardware design engineer
for 40 years. I design this stuff."

No wonder it don't ****ing work, you don't know what a ****ing capacitor is.