Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Active surface of a laser diode?

For self-education I decided to take apart a presumably defunct DVD laser
unit to see the internal layout of splitters etc and what the laser diode
looks like. Googling in images I only find graphics or external views,
anyone know of a WWW view through the window of some good laser diodes ?.
Looking via x30 at what I assume to be the active surface is a uniform grey
colour and uniform crystalline appearance rectangular face (ie no obvious
hot spot/s) like a finer grained version of a fractured surface of cast
aluminium or monkey metal.
Is this the infamous Catastrophic Optical Damage ?
This one has a marking of RH on the body.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one I
have looked at )
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey granular appearance

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Den 01-04-2013 13:56, N_Cook skrev:
So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one I
have looked at )
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey granular appearance

How about the small 'rod' that the 4 bonding wires from the right pin
goes on top of?

--
Uffe
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 1, 7:56*am, "N_Cook" wrote:
So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one I
have looked at )http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey *granular appearance

I think the laser diode is the long gold bar with four wires going to
it.
I'm not sure what the silver cube next to it is.. a temerature
sensor?

The whole thing is on some substrate.. maybe Alumina or Silicon??

The emitting area of a laser diode is really tiny.

George H.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one I
have looked at )
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey granular appearance

The "active surface" is a channel through the die, there's a tiny aperture
in the middle of that "granular surface".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one I
have looked at )
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey granular appearance

The "active surface" is a channel through the die, there's a tiny aperture
in the middle of that "granular surface".

Smaller than the resolution of that photo or the small blackish rectangle on
the end of the "bar" that ends flush with the granular surface, on a line
between the centres of the end faces of the conductor pins.
Dimensions of that rectangle about one of those wires diameter x about 4
wire diameters

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
So if the active surface of this pic , (different internals to the one
have looked at )
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/754...cc5bb59e9b.jpg
is the uppper part of the die then the same grey granular appearance

The "active surface" is a channel through the die, there's a tiny
aperture
in the middle of that "granular surface".

Smaller than the resolution of that photo or the small blackish rectangle
on
the end of the "bar" that ends flush with the granular surface, on a line
between the centres of the end faces of the conductor pins.
Dimensions of that rectangle about one of those wires diameter x about 4
wire diameters

There are various laser tutorials online with exploded view representations
of the junction structure - that's where I got all I have.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in :

For self-education I decided to take apart a presumably defunct DVD
laser unit to see the internal layout of splitters etc and what the
laser diode looks like. Googling in images I only find graphics or
external views, anyone know of a WWW view through the window of some
good laser diodes ?. Looking via x30 at what I assume to be the active
surface is a uniform grey colour and uniform crystalline appearance
rectangular face (ie no obvious hot spot/s) like a finer grained
version of a fractured surface of cast aluminium or monkey metal.
Is this the infamous Catastrophic Optical Damage ?
This one has a marking of RH on the body.

If it is a visible light laser diode, just use a lens to produce
an image of the chip on your wall.
That is safe to look at, and shows the light distribution.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sjouke Burry s@b wrote in message
2.10...
"N_Cook" wrote in :

For self-education I decided to take apart a presumably defunct DVD
laser unit to see the internal layout of splitters etc and what the
laser diode looks like. Googling in images I only find graphics or
external views, anyone know of a WWW view through the window of some
good laser diodes ?. Looking via x30 at what I assume to be the active
surface is a uniform grey colour and uniform crystalline appearance
rectangular face (ie no obvious hot spot/s) like a finer grained
version of a fractured surface of cast aluminium or monkey metal.
Is this the infamous Catastrophic Optical Damage ?
This one has a marking of RH on the body.

If it is a visible light laser diode, just use a lens to produce
an image of the chip on your wall.
That is safe to look at, and shows the light distribution.

I went the "unsafe " route and put 2.5V and 560R over the 1.6V DVM diode
test junction ( 1.3V of the other pair of pins of this recordable DVD
laser). The dim and dull-red light came from the junction between the grainy
block surface and the pillar . In my one the end of the pillar is a
"polished" surface with no metalisation over it unlike the one in that pic.