Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default tube preamp needed

A customer just brought me in two home built tube amplifiers for
evaluation. These are really nice custom built units with KT88 outputs
that were built by a gentleman who passed away. My customer needs a
late 50's or 60's vintage tube preamp with an RIAA low level input to
use these properly and also to run his 1970's vintage turntable with
magnetic cartridge. Does anyone have a nice old tube preamp that would
complement these amps that they would like to sell, or know where I
could find one? I really don't want to get into a bidding war on Ebay
with 15 people. I'd just like to find something, mark it up a bit and
make a little money in the process. Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
D D is offline

On 10/28/2012 10:33 AM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
A customer just brought me in two home built tube amplifiers for
evaluation. These are really nice custom built units with KT88 outputs
that were built by a gentleman who passed away. My customer needs a
late 50's or 60's vintage tube preamp with an RIAA low level input to
use these properly and also to run his 1970's vintage turntable with
magnetic cartridge. Does anyone have a nice old tube preamp that would
complement these amps that they would like to sell, or know where I
could find one? I really don't want to get into a bidding war on Ebay
with 15 people. I'd just like to find something, mark it up a bit and
make a little money in the process. Thanks, Lenny

The Dynaco PAS series is generally considered a reasonably good tube
preamp, especially if modified appropriately. Here are a couple web
sites you might check: http://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/ and
http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/amp/bbs.html Note that the latter has
"for sale" ads. Good places to inquire further, as well.

Good luck!

Dan