DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Rustrak Ranger pods: can i test them without a control unit? (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/342818-rustrak-ranger-pods-can-i-test-them-without-control-unit.html)

dave hillstrom June 25th 12 11:19 PM

Rustrak Ranger pods: can i test them without a control unit?

i just stumbled across a box in storage that contains a whole bunch of old
Rustrak Ranger (I, not II) stuff. Two controllers, one doesnt work, and
the other seems questionable. About 20 pods, mostly Type 06 J Thermocouple
inputs. I would like to see if i could sell them, but I don't want to be
selling junk.

So, does anyone perhaps know how to test the pods without using a
controller? I can't seem to find an accurate schematic for any of it.

--
dave hillstrom mhm15x4 meow

"I can't find my puppy, can you help me find him? I think he went
into this cheap motel room."

Tim Wescott June 25th 12 11:33 PM

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:19:55 -0400, dave hillstrom wrote:

i just stumbled across a box in storage that contains a whole bunch of
old Rustrak Ranger (I, not II) stuff. Two controllers, one doesnt work,
and the other seems questionable. About 20 pods, mostly Type 06 J
Thermocouple inputs. I would like to see if i could sell them, but I
don't want to be selling junk.

So, does anyone perhaps know how to test the pods without using a
controller? I can't seem to find an accurate schematic for any of it.

If you're just concerned about the ethics, then be quite upfront about
the fact that they're not tested -- and don't expect to get full value
for a working unit.

If you want the full value, then worry about how to test them.

http://www.wescottdesign.com

dave hillstrom June 25th 12 11:39 PM

Rustrak Ranger pods: can i test them without a control unit?

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 17:33:09 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jun 2012 18:19:55 -0400, dave hillstrom wrote:

i just stumbled across a box in storage that contains a whole bunch of
old Rustrak Ranger (I, not II) stuff. Two controllers, one doesnt work,
and the other seems questionable. About 20 pods, mostly Type 06 J
Thermocouple inputs. I would like to see if i could sell them, but I
don't want to be selling junk.

So, does anyone perhaps know how to test the pods without using a
controller? I can't seem to find an accurate schematic for any of it.

If you're just concerned about the ethics, then be quite upfront about
the fact that they're not tested -- and don't expect to get full value
for a working unit.

If you want the full value, then worry about how to test them.

yeah. im pretty sure i could sell the whole box for $50 as-is. but it
seems working pods are going for about $25 each on ebay, and i could really
use the cash for the vacation fund! so i thought, what the heck, ask the
brainy folks in the sci.electronics groups. :)

--
dave hillstrom mhm15x4 meow