Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sony TeeVee

I was given a beautiful Sony 27TS32, and after I got a beefy friend
to help me get it inside; I loved it.

One week later, "He's dead, Jim"...as there's no HV. The
"timer/standby LED is blinking away as it did during startup.

Found a print online. Hassle is I'd have to pull PS board and
fix elsewhere, then hope that is it & reinstall. PITA.

Debating the effort to fix it vs. an even BIGGER Sony a friend
wants me to take instead....

Anyone know what is likely dead; what parts will be needed, etc?
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I was given a beautiful Sony 27TS32, and after I got a beefy friend
to help me get it inside; I loved it.

One week later, "He's dead, Jim"...as there's no HV. The
"timer/standby LED is blinking away as it did during startup.

Found a print online. Hassle is I'd have to pull PS board and
fix elsewhere, then hope that is it & reinstall. PITA.

Debating the effort to fix it vs. an even BIGGER Sony a friend
wants me to take instead....

Anyone know what is likely dead; what parts will be needed, etc?
--
A host is a host from coast to

Most common is a shorted horizontal output transistor, 2 shorted switching
transistors and an open .1 ohm resistor in the power supply, caused by bad
solder connections at the horizontal drive transformer.
If these terms are unfamiliar to you, best forget trying to fix it yourself.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" writes:

Most common is a shorted horizontal output transistor, 2 shorted switching
transistors and an open .1 ohm resistor in the power supply, caused by bad
solder connections at the horizontal drive transformer.

Thanks

If these terms are unfamiliar to you, best forget trying to fix it yourself.

How often is the flyback itself dead? I can see that being real
money; if even available.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" writes:

Most common is a shorted horizontal output transistor, 2 shorted switching
transistors and an open .1 ohm resistor in the power supply, caused by bad
solder connections at the horizontal drive transformer.

Thanks

If these terms are unfamiliar to you, best forget trying to fix it
yourself.

How often is the flyback itself dead? I can see that being real
money; if even available.

--
A host is a host from coast to

A bad flyback is uncommon but does happen. A company (in the U.S.) called
Asti Magnetics has replacements for 30.00 or less. There is a paper label on
the FB with a Sony part number.

800-221-1828

Yup, I remembered their phone number.

Too bad my brain doesn't function so well in other areas...

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The parts Mark mentioned were commonly related to this type of failure, and
there were also a couple of small value film capacitors that should be
replaced at the same time (possibly another small component, it's been a
long time since I did one of the big Sony repairs).

You may find archived repair experiences in the older SER posts which will
show the specific parts locations and designations (and maybe the part
numbers) of the parts needed.
You might also search the chassis number located on a sticker for more
results.

You may also find recommendations to use only genuine Sony parts obtained
from a Sony authorized distributor.. otherwise, generic independent parts
sellers' repair kits were known to fail within a short time in numerous
cases.

--
Cheers,
WB

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I was given a beautiful Sony 27TS32, and after I got a beefy friend
to help me get it inside; I loved it.

One week later, "He's dead, Jim"...as there's no HV. The
"timer/standby LED is blinking away as it did during startup.

Found a print online. Hassle is I'd have to pull PS board and
fix elsewhere, then hope that is it & reinstall. PITA.

Debating the effort to fix it vs. an even BIGGER Sony a friend
wants me to take instead....

Anyone know what is likely dead; what parts will be needed, etc?
--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 30 May 2012 21:56:30 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

[...]

..

Sometimes the VDRs in the circuit also leak or short when the
switching transistors fail. Chuck

"David Lesher" wrote in message
I was given a beautiful Sony 27TS32, and after I got a beefy friend
to help me get it inside; I loved it.

One week later, "He's dead, Jim"...as there's no HV. The
"timer/standby LED is blinking away as it did during startup.

Found a print online. Hassle is I'd have to pull PS board and
fix elsewhere, then hope that is it & reinstall. PITA.

Debating the effort to fix it vs. an even BIGGER Sony a friend
wants me to take instead....

Anyone know what is likely dead; what parts will be needed, etc?
--
A host is a host from coast to

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I did a lot of those sets years ago. I never saw a bad flyback. There
was the horizontal output transistor, the two power supply
transistors, the four capacitors, the resistor, and the two VDR's. If
you do a search you'll find the parts list. And as others have
mentioned it was of utmost importance to do the re soldering on
everything that looked suspicious, especially the horizontal driver
transistor and drive transformer. I think that there were also some 3
terminal regulators that needed re soldering as well. They were
sometimes located under the plastic chassis supports so you have to
either really look carefully or remove the board. I would give these
boards a really good eyeball when I got one in. It was a bit of a pain
in the ass job but worth it and this was usually the extent of it.
They were nice sets with a great picture. I think I still have all
these parts if you can't find them. Lenny