Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Tannoy TS10 sub

** I have a Tannoy TS10 in for repair.

The PSU switching FET (IRF740) is shorted so I expect the drive IC ( UC3842)
is also dead. There appears to be NO source resistor with the FET for
current sensing.

The PSU produces a *single* DC rail for the bridge mode amplifier of about
140 volts - there is a 1000uF, 160V electro. I guess the speaker outputs
rest at 0 volts and the DC rail electronically splits into +/- 70 volts.

Question is, how in hell are only four *puny* TO220 mosfets supposed to form
a bridged output stage and drive a 4 ohm woofer from such a supply voltage ?

Looks to me like a real piece of Chinese ****.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

** I have a Tannoy TS10 in for repair.

The PSU switching FET (IRF740) is shorted so I expect the drive IC (
UC3842) is also dead. There appears to be NO source resistor with the FET
for current sensing.

The PSU produces a *single* DC rail for the bridge mode amplifier of about
140 volts - there is a 1000uF, 160V electro. I guess the speaker outputs
rest at 0 volts and the DC rail electronically splits into +/- 70 volts.

Question is, how in hell are only four *puny* TO220 mosfets supposed to
form a bridged output stage and drive a 4 ohm woofer from such a supply
voltage ?

This page says it uses something called BASH, which I'd never heard of.
http://www.samash.com/p/Tannoy_TS10%...ofer_-49998207

After much googling I found this:
http://www.thompdale.com/bash_amplifier/bash_amp.htm

Which suggests it does something similar to the Yamaha XM6150 I currently
have waiting for parts.
I don't see why a 160V rail is needed though.

Old guy.

Looks to me like a real piece of Chinese ****.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Smith"
"Phil Allison"

[...]

** Thanks for going to all that trouble.

There is indeed a switching regulator on the main DC output and the scheme
is similar to the Klipsch one.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi,

I'm looking for the schematics for the TS10 any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
Hi,

I'm looking for the schematics for the TS10 any help would be appreciated.

thanks

What's the problem with it?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It turns on, but super low gain

What's the problem with it?

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Nestor Cano" wrote in message
It turns on, but super low gain

What's the problem with it?

Gareth.

That's really not a lot of information to go on.

Good luck.

Gareth.