DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Cyclic rattle and squeek in felt slip clutches (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/332130-cyclic-rattle-squeek-felt-slip-clutches.html)

N_Cook November 22nd 11 02:53 PM

Cyclic rattle and squeek in felt slip clutches

As the problem has been around all the decades ,from tape decks reel-to-reel
via cassette to VCR, I assume there is no cure other than replace with
unobtanium parts. But in case anyone here has any insight. Not a problem of
lack of lubrication on shaft or bearings. I suspect , perhaps only micron
level of ripple develops on the rubbing surface, anyone know the cause for
certain ? If that was the case then a light skim in a lathe perhaps. Is the
squuek noise enhanced by the compression spring ? Any known , even if
relatively shorterm fixes , not requiring taking apart