Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Al Al is offline

Default Read NAND flash chip (Samsung KLM8G4DEDD-A101)

Hi,

My phone suffered some water damage and now fails to turn-on. I want
to get the data off the internal memory.

So far I have concluded that the data is stored on a chip on the PCB
which is a Samsung moviNAND chip, KLM8G4DEDD-A101. It is attached to
the PCB via a 169 FBGA package.

The closest I could find to a datasheet is : http://www.docin.com/p-166979021.html

This chip appears to have a controller on board which I am hoping will
make my life easier in that I wont have to deal with wear levelling (&
ECC) since if I can interface with the controller it takes care of the
wear levelling for me - and I am talking to the chip at a file system
(rather than a physical) level? But this is just a 'theory' since I
dont have the expertise to be sure of this.

The controller is compliant with the JEDEC MMC 4.3 protocol standard,
and looking at the pinouts on the bottom of the chip:

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...movinand07.gif

It shows a bunch of data lines (DAT0-7) , some voltage lines for the
controller and the chip. (Vcc, Vccq ?)

I am wondering if I can connect the DAT0-3 lines, CLK, and CMD lines
to a SD card reader which has similar pinouts (http://pinouts.ru/
Memory/sdcard_pinout.shtml) and read the data off to a bin file which
I can then use the usual tools on?

Anyone done anything similar - what are the implications of it being
MMC4.3 compliant?

I would probably plan on using a micro tip to connect to the pinouts
of the FBGA direct with some fine single core wire, but what hardware
will I need to talk to the chip? I MMC/SD card reader? Or something
like:

http://www.up48.com/english/programmer/up2008.htm

Cheers

-Al
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2011-07-18 01:52:01 +0200, Al said:

Hi,

[...]

you've better use something like a bus pirate
you will have more commands to get your data back

where to get one :
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/bus...ml?cPath=61_68
support forum:
http://dangerousprototypes.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4