DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   speaking of remote controls... (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/325801-speaking-remote-controls.html)

William Sommerwerck July 9th 11 09:08 PM

speaking of remote controls...

In going through a new MCM catalog, I noticed something new (to me,
anyhow) -- $13 replacement remotes that are (supposedly) customized for
particular TVs -- the point being that they include menu access, PIP, and
other features not commonly found on "generic" universal remotes. They're on
page 55 of the "Summer All-Stars!" catalog, C23B22.

I wish I'd had one of these a few years ago, when the remote for my Toshiba
IDTV failed.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

N_Cook July 9th 11 10:14 PM

William Sommerwerck wrote in message
In going through a new MCM catalog, I noticed something new (to me,
anyhow) -- $13 replacement remotes that are (supposedly) customized for
particular TVs -- the point being that they include menu access, PIP, and
other features not commonly found on "generic" universal remotes. They're

on
page 55 of the "Summer All-Stars!" catalog, C23B22.

I wish I'd had one of these a few years ago, when the remote for my

Toshiba
IDTV failed.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

While at it, where is the truly universal r/c that you could set to step
through all known ident codes, plus infils, until it triggered
power/standby or something, then all known function codes so you could then
teach a teachable r/c for the circumstances of otherwise dead equipment ?
Going beyond LIRC

[email protected] July 9th 11 10:39 PM

On Jul 9, 4:14*pm, "N_Cook" wrote:
[...]

Going beyond LIRC- Hide quoted text -

Dream on!

William Sommerwerck July 9th 11 11:49 PM

"N_Cook" wrote in message

While at it, where is the truly universal r/c that you could set to step
through all known ident codes, plus infils, until it triggered
power/standby or something, then all known function codes so you could

then
teach a teachable r/c for the circumstances of otherwise dead equipment ?

The problem isn't the codes, but having enough buttons of the right shape to
handle the functions.