Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Underwater Strobe Schematics (Sea & Sea YS-27DX)

I'm hoping someone can help here.

I have a dead Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe. The strobe flooded and subsequently let out all the smoke making the circuit work!. I appreciate that the damage may in fact be catastrophic but I'll have a go at fixing it anyway!

The problem is I don't have any schematics. Sea & Sea won't respond to my requests for schematics (no surprise there then). So I'm wondering if anyone has a schematic for this unit?

Thanks,

Ian
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You might be able to fix it by (forgive me!) shotgunning the likely
components.

I assume the unit has been thoroughly flushed with distilled water and
dried, and that you have cleaned/checked all the switches. The transformer
should be to see if it's open or shorted.

The caps and the semiconductors would be a good place to start.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 3 Apr 2011 14:08:37 -0700 (PDT), Chairman WAPSAC
wrote:

I have a dead Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe.

Manual:
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ys27dx/manual_AEKR.pdf
www.seaandsea.com/PDF_manuals/YS27DX.pdf
http://www.seaandsea.jp/products/strobe/ys27dx/

The strobe flooded

Fooded with what? Salt or fresh water?
Have you cracked the case yet?
How are you testing it?
Have you tested the fiber optic trigger cable?
http://www.seaandsea.jp/file_master/adownload/50107_1.pdf
Have you tried using a different camera flash to trigger it?

If salt water, and it was sitting for more than a few days, my
guess(tm) is the damage is more likely corrosion than component
failure. Look for green coppper sulfate crud around the PC board,
components, and transformer windings. It might pay to wash the entire
mess in clean water (several times) to remove any ionic contaminants.
It doesn't take much salt crust on the PCB to short out the hi-voltage
inverter that runs the strobe.

and subsequently let out all the smoke making the circuit work!.

Nope. Water incursion doesn't not produce any smoke.

I appreciate that the damage may in fact be catastrophic but I'll
have a go at fixing it anyway!

Assuming the worst case is often a safe position, but not in this
case. My very limited experience with marine electronics (9.5 years
at Intech Inc designing marine radios) indicates catastrophic damage
is usually accompanied by massive corrosion. More commonly, corrosion
damage rots out the PCB, which prevents power of reaching components,
resulting in a dead circuit. It's very rare for corrosioin to bridge
the few places where a circuit resistive leak would blow something up.
Again, look for corrosion or contamination.

The problem is I don't have any schematics.

Real techs don't need no stinking schematics.

Sea & Sea won't respond to my requests for schematics (no surprise
there then). So I'm wondering if anyone has a schematic for this unit?

Perhaps if you had your request for a schematic written in Japanese?

No schematic, but plenty of similar devices he
http://members.misty.com/don/donflash.html
http://members.misty.com/don/samflash.html
Also, if there are any US patents on the device, they can be found at:
http://www.google.com/patents/

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chairman WAPSAC wrote in message

I'm hoping someone can help here.

I have a dead Sea & Sea YS-27DX strobe. The strobe flooded and

subsequently let out all the smoke making the circuit work!. I appreciate
that the damage may in fact be catastrophic but I'll have a go at fixing it
anyway!

The problem is I don't have any schematics. Sea & Sea won't respond to my

requests for schematics (no surprise there then). So I'm wondering if anyone
has a schematic for this unit?

Thanks,

Ian

Don't know about flooding aspect. But inspect the bakelite of the socket
between the pins of the lamp, can break down from heat and volts and
generate smoke.

Strobe Lights. [email protected] Electronics Repair 32 February 20th 09 09:53 PM
Help with IR LED Strobe Frank Electronics 7 December 25th 05 11:28 AM
IR Strobe help ??? default Electronics 0 December 17th 05 02:06 PM
IR Strobe help ??? diehard67 Electronics 1 December 16th 05 10:27 PM
Remote Sensor for Underwater Flash Strobe WbSearch Electronics Repair 2 March 6th 04 10:24 PM