Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Staples SPL-710SH shredder almost solved.

This Staples SPL-710SH shredder does not power the shredding motor when
paper is put in the slot. I inspected the optical sensors for the paper slot
and found the following voltages. One l.e.d. measured 1.0 volts, the other
side measured 5.0 volts. The voltages didn't change if the two were isolated
from each other. I put my infrared sensitive card on both l.e.d.'s and was
unable to detect any output. Since one of the l.e.d.'s has a reference mark
on the pc board that begins with "D" and the other begins with "T" I'm
guessing the "D" (1.0 volts) side is the emitting side of the pair. I
searched Google and found a similar problem and solution he
http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=303008

Long story short, if I bypass the "T" diode with a 10 ohm resistor, the
motor comes on. Does this eliminate one of the two diodes as being the
culprit? I'm thinking if the emitting diode ("D") is bad, no light is
received by the receiving diode and the motor is on all the time which is
not the case. The "T" diode obviously needs a low logic level to trigger the
motor which begins with the absence of light from the emitter. So it appears
I have a contradiction here.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Type 14 Staples Rick Hughes UK diy 0 September 17th 09 06:36 PM
Staples Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 8 May 4th 09 11:03 AM
Nail gun staples The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 1 November 2nd 06 03:01 PM
U staples Eigenvector Home Repair 5 June 16th 06 10:14 PM
Where to get staples [email protected] Home Repair 12 December 3rd 05 11:15 AM