Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Punch Down mudular cripmer

I just repaired a laptop modem cable and it wouldn't fit because the two end
pins didn't get pushed in, ev'tho I only used the middle two contacts
anyway. There have to be tools that are smaller (pen sized) than the
plier-type crimpers that let you just push in the contacts. It's funny ever
since I put boots on the connectors, the little clipping tab didn't break so
I didn't notice that the new modem doesn't like my home-crimped connectors. I
couldn't find RJ11 boots and I actually used a medical tubing flange.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm http://www.facebook.com/vasjpan2

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 22, 2:10*pm, wrote:
I just repaired a laptop modem cable and it wouldn't fit because the two end
pins didn't get pushed in, ev'tho I only used the middle two contacts
anyway. There have to be tools that are smaller (pen sized) than the
plier-type crimpers that let you just push in the contacts.

You're lucky it didn't fit; A tab that wasn't properly recessed,
would
overstrain the springy contact it mates to, and that can ruin a
receptacle
connector (like, if someone pushes the thing into an Ethernet socket
where more/all of the pins matter).

The 'correct' crimp tools for this kind of modular connector are
inexpensive and easily available. Just use one. In an emergency,
you can hand-compress the little tabs using a flat blade
screwdriver as pusher.