Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Schematics & standards

Using a rectangle for a resistor allows the value to be inserted in it -
quite useful where they're close. And therefore 4K7 takes up less room
than 4.7K - and a full stop is more easily missed when reading. Similarly
a circle for an electrolytic, oval for non electrolytic. After all, an IC
is just a box - not a representative of what it does.

As regards a dot where two cables join, I agree. For some reason this
isn't used much these days. With usually a gap where two circuits cross
rather than a loop. With a dot you don't have to do either.

--
*I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.