Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 40Gb Western Digital hard drive

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 05:54:42 -0700, mike ǝʇoɹʍ:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He didn't say what type of SCSI drive he needed. He may be missing
the trays to hold a SCSI drive, as well. I was just offering a way to
get it running, if everything else was good. The used Dell Power Edge
4350 I picked up for free last week works, and had three 36 G hard
drives and a gig of RAM. The OS had been wiped, but I plan on using it
as an Apache and Leafnode server. I installed Win 2000 to test the
hardware, but I won't be using that OS.

You scored big time for sure. The Proliant came with 512 Mb, and trays
that say '36.4 Gb 10K Ultra Scsi'. Unfortunately all the trays are
empty
The connector that the drives plug into are wider than the one on the
scsi drive I've got.

Thanks for the ideas,
Mike

You might want to go to Wikipedia and do a little reading on the history
of SCSI devices. I used SCSI in my NT4 workstation back in 1997.
There have been several different varieties of SCSI developed in the past
decade or so and you'll need to identify the different connectors and how
to properly terminate the SCSI chain.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 17:15:28 +0900, Michael Kennedy wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
om...

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Doesn't it have at least one empty slot where you can install a
better video card? You can use multiple drives without installing a
RAID driver. Don't pitch it out, if it works.

Oh, no, I'd never pitch anything out, (unless maybe I tripped over it
and broke a toe or somethin')

Play with it. Install a
version of Linux or use it for a test bed computer. You can remove the
rack mount brackets on a lot of server cases and use them as a big
desktop computer, or you can use some scrap lumber an made a crude rack
for it.

I guess that the main obstacle is I don't know anything about scsi;
there are no drives in the drive bay, and there's a scsi bus but I
don't know jack about scsi. I've got a 2.1 Gb scsi drive, and some
kind of scsi controller card, but just haven't spent much time looking
into it yet.

Thanks,
Mike

Then stick an IDE or SATA controller card in there. They don't have
to run SCSI drives. You may have to change some settings in the BIOS,
but that isn't difficult.

Or Just throw a scsi drive in there and play around with it. They're not
that complicated. Don't run away from something just because you don't know
how it works. Use it as an opportunity to broden your knowledge.

Only thing with scsi is you have to address each drive, and have
termination at the end of the cable.
I ran scsi between 1995 and 2001.

The various flavors of scsi (scsi-1, scsi-2, wide, ultrawide, fast, etc.) may
make matching controller to drive interesting if they're not already
matched. There's at least three different connectors I know of plus
varients that are differential or hotswappable.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:

You might want to go to Wikipedia and do a little reading on the history
of SCSI devices. I used SCSI in my NT4 workstation back in 1997.
There have been several different varieties of SCSI developed in the past
decade or so and you'll need to identify the different connectors and how
to properly terminate the SCSI chain.

good idea, I think I'll do that.
Thanks,
Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

AZ Nomad wrote:

Only thing with scsi is you have to address each drive, and have
termination at the end of the cable.
I ran scsi between 1995 and 2001.

The various flavors of scsi (scsi-1, scsi-2, wide, ultrawide, fast, etc.) may
make matching controller to drive interesting if they're not already
matched. There's at least three different connectors I know of plus
varients that are differential or hotswappable.

Hmm, scsi stuff must still be somewhat valuable no matter what the
age, judging from the fact that I almost never find any at the local
scrapyard - so far I've got one cable, one controller card and one
drive, and I've been frequenting the scrapyard since about 1985.
Well, I guess there could be some other reason for it, but that's
what I conclude, at least so far...anyway, thanks for the info.

Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 10:04:06 -0700, mike ǝʇoɹʍ:

AZ Nomad wrote:

Only thing with scsi is you have to address each drive, and have
termination at the end of the cable.
I ran scsi between 1995 and 2001.

The various flavors of scsi (scsi-1, scsi-2, wide, ultrawide, fast,
etc.) may make matching controller to drive interesting if they're not
already matched. There's at least three different connectors I know of
plus varients that are differential or hotswappable.

Hmm, scsi stuff must still be somewhat valuable no matter what the age,
judging from the fact that I almost never find any at the local
scrapyard - so far I've got one cable, one controller card and one
drive, and I've been frequenting the scrapyard since about 1985. Well, I
guess there could be some other reason for it, but that's what I
conclude, at least so far...anyway, thanks for the info.

Mike

My scrap bin has lots of SCSI stuff. Cables both internal and external,
some Seagate 4.3 gig 7200 RPM drives, one is new. A couple Adaptec PCI
cards, terminators, a Plextor SCSI CDRW, external SCSI drive enclosure I
made from an IBM SCSI drive inside the case of a former HP external tape
drive. My very first CDR was a 1x HP SCSI internal back when 1x was the
fastest. CD recording was pretty flaky back then. Hold your breath and
cross your fingers flaky.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Kennedy wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

Good point. I forgot that servers have those trays to hold the hdd's..
I've been out of the PC game going on 2 years now. I really miss working on
anything. Time for a job change. My passion is building and repairing
things. When I finally get back to Florida maybe I can.

If you come back to the same area let me know. We might run into
each other some day. Like the Orlando hamfest.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

He didn't say what type of SCSI drive he needed. He may be missing
the trays to hold a SCSI drive, as well. I was just offering a way to
get it running, if everything else was good. The used Dell Power Edge
4350 I picked up for free last week works, and had three 36 G hard
drives and a gig of RAM. The OS had been wiped, but I plan on using it
as an Apache and Leafnode server. I installed Win 2000 to test the
hardware, but I won't be using that OS.

You scored big time for sure. The Proliant came with 512 Mb, and
trays that say '36.4 Gb 10K Ultra Scsi'. Unfortunately all the trays
are empty
The connector that the drives plug into are wider than the one on the
scsi drive I've got.

If they are 80 pin, here are some cheap 9 GB drives:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...D210-R&cat=HDD

for $5.99 + shipping.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Then stick an IDE or SATA controller card in there. They don't have
to run SCSI drives. You may have to change some settings in the BIOS,
but that isn't difficult.

Excellent idea, guess I was suffering from some mental blockage; it
would just take some creative cable routing to get to the drive bays.
I was just looking at it and now recall that I'd figured the memory in
it justified the cost of it even if it didn't run, but it does start
up and I've looked around in the bios a little bit. However, it only
has one processor installed, which is a PIII-S SL5PU. Kind a doubt
that it's available any more, guess I'll have to check the docs and
see what kind of processors will work in it.

Look for them on Ebay, or places like geeks.com or pacificgeek.com

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 3, 5:34*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

* *If you come back to the same area let me know. *We might run into
each other some day. *Like the Orlando hamfest.

what are you talkin' about, I'm always here, can't afford to go
anywhere...

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mikel/index2.html

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 3, 5:37*pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

* *If they are 80 pin, here are some cheap 9 GB drives:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...D210-R&cat=HDD

* *for $5.99 + shipping.

That sounds pretty good, thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 40Gb Western Digital hard drive - followup

On Jun 2, 8:43*pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

We'll, I wouldn't mind, but there's a problem. *I don't keep any
obviously defective drives and only save the paperwork on the good
drives. *The ones in between are kinda arbitrary. *I'll keep results
on the newer and better drives, but not on the older marginal junk.
It's really not that much of a time burner. *I have several test
machines and boards, and usually let them run overnight.

Hmm, I guess I need to get a little bit better organized...

My rule-of-thumb is that if the diagnostic says it's bad, it's almost
certainly bad. *If the diagnostic says it's good, it might be, but
might also be bad due to some reason that wasn't obvious or tested. *I
once tested a drive (with a different program) that had obvious
bearing spin (very noisy), but tested good.

I've got a couple noisy (smaller capacity) ones, it's tempting to keep
using them, just to see how
long they last.*

On a slightly different subject, when I got curious about the
definition of 'low-level format', I did some googling on the subject
and checked out the Wikipedia for a bit and now I don't know whether I
even did any low-level formatting in the last few days, though I do
know that I used to in the early 80's - oh, well I guess that's
"progress' for ya.

Low level format is usually done by the factory, and never again. It's
places the sector numbers and servo tracks on the platter. *There are
programs that plug into the diagnstic port of the drive that will
recreate the sector numbers, bios preload area, diagnostic tracks, and
landing zone allocation, but not the servo tracks. *If the drive seems
to require a new primary format, give up now.

Hint: *I have a 15 year old Conner CP1060S 1GB drive sitting in my SCO
Unix 3.2v4.2 server. *

haven't seen the name 'Conner' for quite awhile now, I'd forgotten
about them...

It's been running continuously since about
1995(?). *Three mother boards (486DX2/66), one video card, and one
Wangtek tape controller card have blown up during this time. *The
secret to long HD life is leave it running all the time and protect it
from power and static electricity glitches. *I have other servers that
have done almost as well, but this one is my oldest.

That's pretty amazing, for sure!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

If you come back to the same area let me know. We might run into
each other some day. Like the Orlando hamfest.

what are you talkin' about, I'm always here, can't afford to go
anywhere...

http://buncombe.main.nc.us/~mikel/index2.html

That reply was to Michael Kennedy. He used to live abut 45 minutes
from me. He was between me and Orlando. I am in a little better health
these days, and am almost ready to try the long drive to Orlando. After
I get the A/C in the truck fixed.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

That reply was to Michael Kennedy. He used to live abut 45 minutes
from me. He was between me and Orlando. I am in a little better health
these days, and am almost ready to try the long drive to Orlando. After
I get the A/C in the truck fixed.

Oops, I beg your pardon - anyway, glad to hear you're feeling better.

Anohter Mike
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

That reply was to Michael Kennedy. He used to live abut 45 minutes
from me. He was between me and Orlando. I am in a little better health
these days, and am almost ready to try the long drive to Orlando. After
I get the A/C in the truck fixed.

Oops, I beg your pardon - anyway, glad to hear you're feeling better.

No problem, and thanks.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

mike wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:43 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Hint: I have a 15 year old Conner CP1060S 1GB drive sitting
in my SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 server.

That's pretty amazing, for sure!

Of course the drive is going to last for ever. It's already in
Hell. ;-)

Jeff

--
Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:31:46 -0500, Jeffrey D Angus ǝʇoɹʍ:

mike wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:43 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Hint: I have a 15 year old Conner CP1060S 1GB drive sitting in my SCO
Unix 3.2v4.2 server.

That's pretty amazing, for sure!

Of course the drive is going to last for ever. It's already in Hell. ;-)

Jeff

Seagate Cuda 4.3 gig SCSI in a Compact Prosignia 300, 16 MB built in RAM
running Novell Netware 3.12. Runs 24/7 since 2003. Both the server and
drive are from around mid 90's.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

mike wrote:
On Jun 2, 8:43 pm, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
Hint: I have a 15 year old Conner CP1060S 1GB drive sitting
in my SCO Unix 3.2v4.2 server.

That's pretty amazing, for sure!

Of course the drive is going to last for ever. It's already in
Hell. ;-)

What's the problem? You don't like my fire and brimstone decor?
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/fire.gif
There's an easy way to check if the disk drive is the work of the
devil. Check its reflection in a mirror. Vampires and the undead do
not cast a reflection because they have lost their soul. If the drive
appears enchanted, acts like the living dead, or staggers among the
undead, you may have a problem. I can suggest a good consulting
sorcerer if necessary.

Jeff

Jeff (the mirror image).

--