Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,comp.arch.embedded

Default card storage

D Yuniskis wrote in message
Hi,

Like most folks, I've accumulated a fair number of
"I/O cards" over the years. Many I need to hold onto
to give me certain capabilities (e.g., EIA485, certain
digital I/O's, etc.) to maintain old designs. Others
are worthwhile from time to time as I reorganize my
machine herd and opt to support different peripheral sets.

[I'm currently only speaking of COTS cards -- ISA, PCI,
various memory packages, etc. -- not custom stuff]

Storing these has proven to be not trivial. I've tried
different approaches over the years -- antistatic bags,
small boxes (e.g., "Wide SCSI HBA's", "TR NIC's", etc.),
big boxes (e.g., "Network cards", "Memory", etc.). None
really seem to work well. :

The REAL solution is probably just to sh*tcan the lot
and shrug when I come across a future need! :

Has anyone come up with a slick way of storing cards
that doesn't beat up on the cards, makes it relatively easy
to locate the card you want *and* doesn't dramatically
increase the volume required to store them (i.e., putting
each in "retail packaging")? Right now, I think the
most viable option (for me) is back to antistatic bags
(to help the cards slide over each other without "catching"
on protruding components) in *large* boxes :-(

Thx,
--don

I'm aware of a repair shop where they had strung steel wire near the ceiling
of the store, tensioned with turn-buckles (otherwise unused space). Then a
plastic curtain hook hot-melt glued to corner of each board, on a weekly
basis, then strung up. Timewise order to the boards , so could be
cross-referenced to repair job log so no logging of the boards as such