DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   DLP projector lamp. (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/302833-dlp-projector-lamp.html)

Dave Plowman (News) May 10th 10 05:42 PM

DLP projector lamp.

Are their any other symptoms of an aging DLP lamp other than reduced
brightness and possibly colour temperature?

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Chris Oates[_2_] May 11th 10 12:38 AM

DLP projector lamp.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Are their any other symptoms of an aging DLP lamp other than reduced
brightness and possibly colour temperature?

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Protection shut down is one.

I get DLP lamps from
http://www.soundandvisionav.co.uk/

Bruce Esquibel[_2_] May 11th 10 01:58 PM

DLP projector lamp.

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

Are their any other symptoms of an aging DLP lamp other than reduced
brightness and possibly colour temperature?

I've had a Mits 73" for four years now, the 1st bulb that went out seemed to
produce a "gassy" picture for about a day and half before failing
completely. The brightness was reduced (although not much) but there was
sort of a fog on bright colored objects.

The second bulb didn't do that but there was a hint something was going
wrong for a couple weeks, it tended to have a light strobe effect in the
background, very noticable when the set was first turned on.

The 3rd bulb didn't show any symptoms, just didn't work anymore.

If you have a Mits and are getting that halo effect (sort a ring around
bright colored object) it's probably the light engine. I've had that
replaced also.

Hasn't been the most reliable set by a long shot. Next failure besides the
lamp it's getting **** canned.

-bruce

Dave Plowman (News) May 11th 10 04:37 PM

DLP projector lamp.

In article ,
Bruce Esquibel wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

[...]

Interesting. Mine is a Sagem 45" rear projector, and the symptoms are
ghosting on movement and a weird lack of detail especially on black and
white films. Faces especially. It's most noticeable on terrestrial digital.
HD from satellite seems much better. Trying the same STB into an LCD set
doesn't show these artifacts.
The actual lamp is over 5 years old - so doesn't owe me anything. But
being quite expensive don't want to change it if it's something else.

--
*See no evil, Hear no evil, Date no evil.

Meat Plow[_5_] May 11th 10 05:30 PM

DLP projector lamp.

I don't blame you for ****-canning that money-pit.

[email protected] May 11th 10 07:29 PM

DLP projector lamp.

On Tue, 11 May 2010 12:58:09 +0000 (UTC), Bruce Esquibel
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

[...]

The 'halo effect' cause and cure has been well documented (including
pictures) on AVSforum.com. Curing it is not for the inept, but anyone
with basic mechanical skills, some alcohol, and q-tips can fix it.

PlainBill

Bruce Esquibel[_2_] May 12th 10 03:21 PM

DLP projector lamp.

Meat Plow wrote:

I don't blame you for ****-canning that money-pit.

Honestly, I lucked out with the warranty.

The place we bought it from (abt electronics) had a deal with the extended
warranty I couldn't pass up, and I'm one to normally poo-poo those things.

For $199 we got a 4 year, parts/labor with one free lamp replacement. No
long waits with the service calls either, usually within 2-3 days.

No joke, except for the cabinet and hard drive (it has a built in DVR),
everything else has been replaced. Main chassis, light engine, some other
optical assembly. All no charge and no problems.

That ABT is great, Mits not so much, last tv I'd buy with their name on it.

-bruce

Bruce Esquibel[_2_] May 12th 10 03:33 PM

DLP projector lamp.

wrote:

The 'halo effect' cause and cure has been well documented (including
pictures) on AVSforum.com. Curing it is not for the inept, but anyone
with basic mechanical skills, some alcohol, and q-tips can fix it.

One comment about this repair, if this is the one...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1148792

I'm finding it hard to believe it's a catch-all solution for that halo
problem.

The reason I say that is, the halo problem I had just wasn't there all the
time. Never within the first hour or so of use and some nights it didn't
seem to be present at all, like it just went away. Even the wife remarked
maybe the set fixed itself.

It's just that although I can see some kind of film forming on the lens (for
whatever reason it forms) that can cause the problem, seems like it would
always be there, maybe to different degrees depending on the iris action,
but still be there.

Weird.

-bruce