DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Ampex 601 Reel to Reel plays back fine but has only AC hum in recordmode (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/302281-ampex-601-reel-reel-plays-back-fine-but-has-only-ac-hum-recordmode.html)

mark April 29th 10 02:03 PM

Ampex 601 Reel to Reel plays back fine but has only AC hum in recordmode

The input section has severe AC hum when recording via the Microphone
& direct line but playback through the output & headphone jacks is
fine. If anybody is familiar with working on these any help with
listing the usual high failure suspects & what parts should be
upgraded would be greatly appreciated. I just moved & misplaced my ESR
tester so I'll definitely need to find it to test all the old caps in
this one some of which obviously need to be replaced. I tried printing
out the schematic off the net but for some reason my computer
(Powerbook G4) wouldn't print it. I repaired TVs/VCRs/stereos for 35
years but not many vintage tube audio units.

Thanks, Mark

Phil Allison[_2_] April 29th 10 04:49 PM

Ampex 601 Reel to Reel plays back fine but has only AC hum in record mode

"Meat Plow"

What's the URL of the schematic?

**See:

http://recordist.com/ampex/schematic...n/601schem.gif

** Wanna bet the mic input tranny is missing and /or the hum balance trim
pot is burnt out ?

.... Phil

Dave M[_3_] April 29th 10 09:07 PM

Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:49:05 +1000, Phil Allison wrote:

"Meat Plow"

What's the URL of the schematic?

**See:

http://recordist.com/ampex/schematic...n/601schem.gif

** Wanna bet the mic input tranny is missing and /or the hum balance
trim pot is burnt out ?

How is the OP is recording, from Line or MIC? Don't remember and you
snipped the quote.

Hum balance is R-147?

OP says that the hum is present when recording from both mic and line
inputs. Sounds like a ground connection is broken somewhere around V101,
V102 or V103. Also check those tubes for heater-cathode short. Check line
record level pot and mic record level pot for broken grround connection or
open wiper.
Make sure that the bias oscillator (V103B) is running in record mode.
--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net

Robert Macy April 30th 10 04:47 PM

On Apr 29, 1:07*pm, "Dave M" wrote:
Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

I once had a bias oscillator kick up to a very high frequency [part
failure] intermittently. You could not believe the high quality of
the recording when the oscillator went berzerk. Down side, got super
hot, even the plate on one tube just starting to glow.