Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Notebook freezing when connected to external power supply

I have a Toshiba Satellite A205 - S4777 that works perfect while on
battery, but the instance i plug the charger in, it freezes. First i
thought it was a Vista-Toshiba issue but only to discover that even in
BIOS it freezes instantly when the charger is plugged in. When the
laptop is off, any attempt to power it on while the charger is plugged
in, results only in a flicker of the power led.
I tried different chargers, ANY possible power options combinations in
Vista and Win7.

If I boot from battery and enter Windows Safe Mode, or Hiren's boot
CD, or WinXP mini all works fine even if I connect the power cord,
where normal Windows and BIOS freeze istantly.

I'm even thing of giving current directly by the battery contacts...
may this be possible?

Any help or advice on possible causes or solution to this issue would
be grateful. Thank you
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 23, 3:00*pm, Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

What do you mean by freezing, there are devices sold that either heat
or cool, but those are normally sold as refrigerators and heaters. Do
you mean the mouse stops moving, or what????
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 24, 6:06*am, "hr(bob) "
wrote:
[...]

yes the computer stops working, hangs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the charger is not plugged into the wall when you insert it into your
Toshiba, does the PC hang? I'm thinking the socket in the Toshiba may
be shorting out in some fashion when a plug, dead or alive, is inserted.

On 4/23/2010 1:00 PM, Mike De Petris wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 24, 7:13*pm, Bennett Price wrote:
If the charger is not plugged into the wall when you insert it into your
Toshiba, does the PC hang? *I'm thinking the socket in the Toshiba may
be shorting out in some fashion when a plug, dead or alive, is inserted.

no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains
disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon
as I connect the charger to the mains

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike De Petris wrote:
no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains
disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon
as I connect the charger to the mains

Let me see if H ave this right.

With the charger plugged into the lap top, but NOT connected to
the mains, the laptop functions properly.

If you plug the power supply into the mains, the laptop goes
stupid and hangs up.

IF that's the case, I would suspect that something is wrong with
the charging supply. Such as the voltage is way high, causing the
laptop top get annoyed and hang up.

Have you measured the charger output with no load on it? (I.e.
not plugged into the laptop.)

--
“Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity.”
Frank Leahy, Head coach, Notre Dame 1941-1954

http://www.stay-connect.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 24, 8:30*pm, Jeffrey D Angus wrote:
Mike De Petris wrote:
no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains
disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon
as I connect the charger to the mains

Let me see if H ave this right.

With the charger plugged into the lap top, but NOT connected to
the mains, the laptop functions properly.

If you plug the power supply into the mains, the laptop goes
stupid and hangs up.

IF that's the case, I would suspect that something is wrong with
the charging supply. Such as the voltage is way high, causing the
laptop top get annoyed and hang up.

Have you measured the charger output with no load on it? (I.e.
not plugged into the laptop.)

I measured the voltage and it's normal, tried several chargers anyway

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Mike De Petris wrote:

no, I tried keeping the charged plugged into the notebook with mains
disconnected, and it works normally with battery, hang occurs as soon
as I connect the charger to the mains

Let me see if H ave this right.

With the charger plugged into the lap top, but NOT connected to
the mains, the laptop functions properly.

If you plug the power supply into the mains, the laptop goes
stupid and hangs up.

IF that's the case, I would suspect that something is wrong with
the charging supply. Such as the voltage is way high, causing the
laptop top get annoyed and hang up.

Have you measured the charger output with no load on it? (I.e.
not plugged into the laptop.)

I measured the voltage and it's normal, tried several chargers anyway

Its your power management drivers and GUI software that is a problem..
uninstall and install the original drivers from the CD's or web sight
for that laptop.

Since the unit seems to be locking, the driver software could be most
likely is the issue and maybe proprietary to that lap top

Things like this happen after a Windows update, unexpected error on
the HD, some one removed something they shouldn't of or, a
funny program is running on board..

It's possible a bad onboard support circuit but I doubt that
very much.

A simple test to prove this would be to boot to bias so the basics of
the machine is on and energize the charger to see if a lock takes
place there.
Next, boot into safe mode, and try the same thing.. If all is ok up
to this point. correct the software on board.

Have a good day.

P.S.
some Laptops have a partition on the HD that has special set up
software at boot time to configure the proprietary onboard chips..
This also could be an issue..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 24, 8:30*pm, Meat Plow wrote:
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:00:57 -0700 (PDT), Mike De Petris
wrote:

[...]

Uninstall the Toshiba Power Managemnt utility if you have it
installed. If that fixes it try reinstalling it. If you don't have the
utility installed go to Toshiba and see if it is available for your
205 and the Vista platform.

I have plain Windows 7 installed at the moment, no Toshiba nor other
utilities, even never connected to the network.

Anyway it freezes even in the BIOS when connecting power.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

don't know what more to check!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

the laptop is still apart, had little time to experiment, the two
fuses are ok will have to test capacitors, in the while I took away
the cmos battery and soldered two wires to use a standard cr2032 but
nothing changes

my idea now, is that if I am not able to find the faulty component,
that may well be a custom one, I will try to cut the connections to
the battery poles and connect using a 2-way deviator, so that in one
position the lapton can work like now, charging the battery when
switched off, or running on battery only, or trun the deviator/switch
and give voltage directly to the cutted terminals, excluding the
battery, with an external power supply, the pc should still detect the
battery charge level from other contacts of battery in place

should this work?