Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neotus ELM1700ND

Hi,

We've a chance to rescue some of these. But, it
appears to be an orphaned product. Has anyone
*used*/deployed one and/or have any technical
information (beyond what google turns up) on
them?

For starters, is there a SETUP *behind* (before)
the GUI Setup?

Most significantly, how buggy is their TS implementation?
Is it usable? Or, is that the reason behind these
particular units "being available"? : I.e., is it
best just to ignore that capability and use them in
their "dumb" form, instead?

(shame as they could be a decent little "portable"
to lug around as needed)

Thx,
--don
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:13:10 -0700, D Yuniskis
wrote:

We've a chance to rescue some of these. But, it
appears to be an orphaned product. Has anyone
*used*/deployed one and/or have any technical
information (beyond what google turns up) on
them?

For starters, is there a SETUP *behind* (before)
the GUI Setup?

Most significantly, how buggy is their TS implementation?
Is it usable? Or, is that the reason behind these
particular units "being available"? : I.e., is it
best just to ignore that capability and use them in
their "dumb" form, instead?

(shame as they could be a decent little "portable"
to lug around as needed)

http://www.ncomputing.com/Solutions/Howitworks.aspx

Thanks, but I'd already been there. :

They don't have any information on this product on
their site. It appears to have been abandoned and.or
redesigned/renamed. Nor do they have anything that
gives any level of detail about operation, troubleshooting,
etc.

E.g., it seems likely that you would want to be able
to specify the default *mode* (smart vs dumb) in which the
device powers up (of course, they may have simply failed to
see the use for this feature). Some of the prompts
suggest there *may* be hidden menus/modes, etc.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
http://www.ncomputing.com/Solutions/Howitworks.aspx

Thanks, but I'd already been there. :

They don't have any information on this product on
their site. It appears to have been abandoned and.or
redesigned/renamed. Nor do they have anything that
gives any level of detail about operation, troubleshooting,
etc.

E.g., it seems likely that you would want to be able
to specify the default *mode* (smart vs dumb) in which the
device powers up (of course, they may have simply failed to
see the use for this feature). Some of the prompts
suggest there *may* be hidden menus/modes, etc.

If you have one to look at or mess with I would assume it has DVI and
15 pin SUB-D interfaces. And their network appliances (terminals) have
a 15 pin SUB-D with RGB out along with PS2 for mouse/keyboard and an
ethernet connector. So it should work on either since VGA is RGB with
H&V sync.

What is it you mean by smart or dumb mode?

It's a combination TS client/LCD monitor.

As an LCD monitor, it can be analog or digital (DVI and high density
sub-D "VGA" connectors).

As a TS client, it is smart enough to contact the TS server, etc.
(plus other clients built in for things like firmware upgrade).

E.g., if you turn it on, it *wants* to be "smart".
If you don't want to use it in this manner, you have
to tell it to switch to the analog (or digital) inputs
(i.e., "be dumb").

I would assume there should be a way to tell it the
default mode (TS vs. LCD) in which it should power up.
So, if you did NOT want to use it as a TS client, you
could "just" use it as a nice little (17") LCD monitor.
Folks who have played with them (*as* "dumb" LCD monitors)
are always confused when it powers up with a "pretty" GUI
screen -- and doesn't seem to respond to their keyboard!
(because their keyboard is connected to their PC and
their PC's output is -- currently -- not being shown
on the display!).

We've not had any luck trying to get them to behave as
TS clients so we can't decide if they are worth deploying
in that mode :-/
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 12:21:22 -0700, D Yuniskis
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
http://www.ncomputing.com/Solutions/Howitworks.aspx
Thanks, but I'd already been there. :

E.g., it seems likely that you would want to be able
to specify the default *mode* (smart vs dumb) in which the
device powers up (of course, they may have simply failed to
see the use for this feature). Some of the prompts
suggest there *may* be hidden menus/modes, etc.
If you have one to look at or mess with I would assume it has DVI and
15 pin SUB-D interfaces. And their network appliances (terminals) have
a 15 pin SUB-D with RGB out along with PS2 for mouse/keyboard and an
ethernet connector. So it should work on either since VGA is RGB with
H&V sync.

What is it you mean by smart or dumb mode?

It's a combination TS client/LCD monitor.

So it has an ethernet, a keyboard and mouse connection built into the
monitor?

Yes.

Sorry if I seem dense but what all can you plug into the monitor
besides video?

Connectors a
- keyboard (ps2)
- mouse (ps2)
- ethernet
- power (DC)
- "speaker" (I assume this is an output)
- DVI
- "vga"

Front panel controls a
- power
- source (analog - digital - TS client)
- menu
- select
- (i.e., arrow left)
- (i.e., arrow right)

[...]

The server PC would have to run their software.

No, I think the server is just intended to run MS's
RDP (I may be mistaken, but the on screen displays seem
to imply that). Without technical info, its hard to say
authoritatively! :
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:40:05 -0700, D Yuniskis
[...]

Well from what little I gleaned it used/uses exclusive UTMA
technology (Ultra Thin Multi-Access). To me at least that is
an NComputing proprietary protocol. Probably why you can't
get it to talk to Windows TS.

I have no idea. I'm not the one playing with them :
We'd been told they were "MS Terminal Server clients".
But, this could be that folks aren't aware of the various
technologies that have been used over the years to
implement thin clients (X terminals, Sun Rays, etc.).
I was approached solely because I am the X-terminal
expert :-/

I was hoping that a way could be found to just turn them
into "dumb monitors" using some "SETUP menu" (not possible
sing the thin client configuration pages). I don't want to
encourage the use of MS protocols as they are too expensive
to support, long term :-/

If the only option is "install some proprietary, long since
unsupported software on some *particular* version of an
MS OS" then I think I'll just recommend a "pass" on these
and let the recycler have them.

Thanks!
--don

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 07:30:56 -0700, D Yuniskis
If the only option is "install some proprietary, long since
unsupported software on some *particular* version of an
MS OS" then I think I'll just recommend a "pass" on these
and let the recycler have them.

Well since NComputing is still in business have you tried to
get someone to talk to you about it? It might be worth a phone
call if you haven't already.

http://www.ncomputing.com/ContactUs.aspx

I passed along a note:

Give them a call and see if these devices are supported
AT ALL. See what sort of documentation you can get from
them -- even if it is just a user manual, datasheet, etc.
If they are 'uncooperative' -- "Sorry, we no longer support
that product. Would you like to buy one of our XYZ2000's
instead?" then just save one or two of the units (don't forget
the power packs!) and pass the rest on to recycle.

Wanna bet they end up in the recycle heap?? :
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:42:47 -0700, D Yuniskis
wrote:

Meat Plow wrote:
[...]

I've had some success turning "No longer supported" into "I think we
may have someone who might know a little." I guess two factors being
how cooperative is NComputing and if there is anyone employed there
that does know something about this product and is willing to talk.

Yup. It depends on the nature of the company, size, industry
that it serves, etc.

I had one helpful soul forward me some software that had never
been formally released (product was discontinued) in one case.
And, I recall a very helpful lady at Jensen when I was looking
for information on my G610B's. Actually sent me original
copies pulled from archives!

I just had a great experience with Manley and two old tube vari-mu
studio comp/limiters. Was actually able to get them to dig up
schematics and service manuals drafted back in the 80s. Even got the
help of EveAnn Manley herself locating the correct power supply
schematic for one unit that used an 0A2 reg tube.

So don't give up hope just yet the fat lady isn't done singing.