Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harman Kardon AVR210, no audio.

This Harman Kardon AVR210 receiver has no audio output in any mode. Customer
said it just went out all of a sudden. I was able to find a copy of the
service manual he
http://eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/4...on_AVR210.html It's in
four parts and you'll need a utility that can unpack a rar file to see it.
The manual is 135 pages so when referring to it, I've included the page
numbers.

I performed the part modification as suggested on page 19. It didn't correct
the problem.

Then I traced signal as shown in the chart on pages 25-26. Using the direct
input, I was able to get audio out of the tape output jacks. There is no
output from the preamp output jacks. There is no protection relay that I can
see and there is no dc offset at the power amplifier output.

Referring to the signal flow chart on page 26, the audio input signal is
present on pins 4 and 25 of IC 706 (electronic volume control) but missing
on pins 3 and 26 of IC 706. The schematic of this circuit is on page 116.
However when I rotate the volume control, the audio will appear as long as
the knob is moving. As soon as the control is left alone, the audio mutes.
The output pins are 3 and 26, of IC 706. The signal appears to be clean
though I estimate the speaker output to be about 30dB less than where it's
supposed to be while it is present. If I bridge the input to the output pins
of IC706, an attenuated signal appears but it's too low for any output to
register at the speakers.

Now, referring to the block diagram on page 30, you'll notice IC 716 and the
muting transistor(s) that follows. Back to page 116, there seems to be
enough forward bias on Q716 and Q717 .(676 volts) to possibly mute the
output if there were any input to amplify.

So in light of all these observations, do I just replace IC706? It's about
$30 but I'm wondering if there's some muting going on behind the scenes that
can be contributing to this problem.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber