Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sanyo TV model HT 32546, CH. 04 problems

Hi all
This set came in for repair out of warranty. I have the manuals for
the
-00 and -01 chassis but only a 4 page change notice covering a -04
chassis. I don't know if the 04 is that much different but if it is
available a full manual which covers the -04 chassis particularly
might be helpful.

The customer who was referred to us by Sanyo said that he heard a
"slight crackle" sound and then the picture went to a small circle
then the set went dead.

So Far, I've found the HOT Q402 shorted, D484 shorted, D406 shorted
and R484 open. I replaced those components and powered the set on and
noted that the flyback had a hole in the side and was arcing to D484.
The new diode was subsequently damaged but nothing else in the
immediate area seemed to be affected. The original arcing flyback
probably damaged the set initially.

I just replaced the flyback with an OEM Sanyo part and the diode with
an NTE 552 as the original is apparently NLA. Now when power on is
attempted the relay chatters for a couple of seconds, There is a
slight "fart" sound out of the speakers, and then the set seems to
shut down. I've determined that HV is developed during this brief
period because there was a healthy stored charge present at the second
anode.

I'm trying to determine just what might make the relay chatter as its
doing. However its very difficult to do this during the brief 2 second
period I have during startup. Does this sound like anything anyone
more familiar with this chassis may have run into before? I have a lot
of time into this set now and I feel like I may just be over looking
something small. The power supply is very complicated with power
monitoring, etc. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions for me I would
surely appreciate hearing from them. Thanks for any assistance.

Lenny