Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Connecting 2 PCs modem-to-modem

I know it can be done, but am having trouble making it work.

The idea is to connect 2 PCs directly through their modems. Not cable
modems, ordinary 56K modems. I call it my "Poor Man's Network".

I've found the following pages that describe this operation:

http://phorums.com.au/archive/index.php/t-120530.html
http://www.jagshouse.com/modem.html

That second link suggests powering the connecting line with ~24 VDC, but
I don't think that's actually necessary. (The first link describes
connecting two computeri via modem with no extra hardware needed.)

So when I set this up--2 computeri with connected modems, using
HyperTerminal at each end, with the following commands:

o sending computer: ATX3D
o receiving computer: ATA

I hear stuff through the speaker on the RX end, typical modem connect
tones to start, but I don't hear all that "chirping" usually associated
with dial-up connections; just a steady, low tone that lasts for, say,
30 seconds or so, then the connection goes dead and I get "NO CARRIER"
at both ends.

Everything seems configured correctly: I've set the speed at both ends
to 56K and disabled waiting for dial tone.

So what am I doing wrong here?

Please don't suggest using Ethernet or something else instead. I'm
trying to use what's at hand here.

Thanks for any help.

- a Usenet "apology"

Cable Modem RFI Vey Electronics Repair 8 April 9th 07 12:47 AM
Modem identification. Can someone please help? [email protected] Electronics Repair 9 January 29th 05 12:22 AM
OT (again): MODEM to MODEM? Old Nick Metalworking 42 September 19th 04 10:44 AM
Modem Test ? WbSearch Electronics Repair 18 April 6th 04 04:44 PM
RF interference in a 56K modem margaret Electronics 0 July 11th 03 10:18 PM