Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Connecting 2 PCs modem-to-modem

On 1/2/2010 4:37 PM Adrian C spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote:

Everything seems configured correctly: I've set the speed at both ends
to 56K and disabled waiting for dial tone.

So what am I doing wrong here?

The maximun speed you should set for is 33.6 kbps analogue.

Above that, the communication relies on connection to an ISP's modem
rack port supporting digital network signalling, something that is
missing on your back-to-back attempt.

Thanks. I bumped the speed down to 19,200 (I think*); the sounds were
different, but still no success.

Couple questions:

1. Are the sounds one hears on the RX side those of the sending modem,
the RX one or both?

2. * Hard to tell with HyperTerminal what speed is actually being used.
I configured to modem to use a maximum speed of 19,200, but HT still
said "112xxx" (forget the exact #s) until I went and re-configured the
modem, at which time it then said 19200.

This really should work.

- a Usenet "apology"