Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Interesting behavior of CRT (image "blooming")

Just noticed something a bit strange about my CRT monitor (Dell-branded
Sony Trinitron), wondering if it means anything to anybody here.

This only happens when it's first turned on, before it warms up much. I
use Firefox as a browser and have it set to a little more than half the
screen height, so the browser window takes up about half the screen. I
use tabs, and I noticed when switching between a tab that's mostly black
and one that's mostly white that when I do so, the entire screen "jumps
out" a little. I hesitate to use the term "bloom", since I believe that
has a specific meaning for certain CRT image artifacts, but that's what
it seems to do. It's quite noticeable, and actually a little bit alarming.

So I'm thinking: something having to do with AGC? Some kind of
overcompensation for increased voltage levels for the brighter screen?

The effect seems to completely disappear when the monitor is fully
warmed up.

Not a critical problem; I'm just curious.

--
I am a Canadian who was born and raised in The Netherlands. I live on
Planet Earth on a spot of land called Canada. We have noisy neighbours.

- harvested from Usenet